go away spammer

Author Topic: $50 Robot: Programming error: No target found  (Read 3582 times)

Offline PicTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
$50 Robot: Programming error: No target found
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:08:46 PM »
I've been reading the forum posts on the $50 robot and looking at the schematic and i can't figure out why the 4xAA battery pack is needed.
This is likely a stupid question, but couldn't I use a single 9v battery? The voltage comes to 5V after it has passed through the voltage regulator, what's to stop me using this 5V to power both the servos AND the circuitry? Perhaps i am misunderstanding something basic...

Edit: I suppose it would essentially be using a single 9V battery in place of the 6V battery pack. Possible?

The above is all solved now  :D Thanks for the help.

I'm having a new problem however, when i start to load my .hex file that sets the servos to 0 degrees, i come up with a "No target detected, ensure the target has power"...now my board does have power to it, but i haven't attached the sensors yet....just the servos. Could this be causing my problem?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:33:12 PM by Pic »

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Re: $50 Robot: 4xAA batterypack even needed?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »
Nothing is going to stop you from doing what you ask. It would work fine. The problem you are going to run into is that 9v batteries have a very low storage capacity. You may also have problems with the voltage regulator if you connect to many servos and draw more power that it is designed to supply.

Conscripted

Offline PicTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »
That was a quick reply, thanks!
So the servos are connected to the rechargeable batteries due to them being the power hogs of the circuit I take it?

Maybe I'll have a go at making my own 'battery pack' by making a holder of 5 x 1.2V batteries, i'm sure the practise wouldn't hurt. (In hindsight I should of got the proper 6V battery pack, too late now unless i make another order....and another postage payment)

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »
the main reason for the 6v pack is as conscripted said, to supply more power.
there is also the case of servos only being able to take a maximum of 7.2v.
if you feed 9v into a servo it will most likely fry.
if you would like to use one supply source, i would recommend either a 6v pack or a 7.2v pack (or one you make yourself)
Howdy

Offline ballbreaker

• Helpful? 1
Re: $50 Robot: Programming error: No target found
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:28:01 PM »
maybe if you are using a usb serial adaptor you may have chosen the wrong usb drive (or whatever) to send the data to your programer 
For Those About To Rock, We Salute You!

Get Your Ad Here

data_list