Author Topic: Choosing components  (Read 2345 times)

Offline alpha_geekTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • Digital Jedi
Choosing components
« on: August 08, 2007, 02:01:23 AM »
Hi there,

This might be a stupid question, but I am having a little trouble getting to grips with how to choose the right components. I have read and re-read the basics such as ohms law etc. Basically I am trying to figure out what transistors I need to buy. I know what voltage my circuit uses, but I am not sure about amps.

For example if I change batteries (which is quite possible because I am still only testing the circuit) will I not have to change all my components too, because the batteries have a different output?

Offline elixier

• Helpful? 0
  • http://www.techiesworld.org
    • http://www.techiesworld.org
Re: Choosing components
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:12:10 PM »
Hi there,

This might be a stupid question, but I am having a little trouble getting to grips with how to choose the right components. I have read and re-read the basics such as ohms law etc. Basically I am trying to figure out what transistors I need to buy. I know what voltage my circuit uses, but I am not sure about amps.

For example if I change batteries (which is quite possible because I am still only testing the circuit) will I not have to change all my components too, because the batteries have a different output?

Ya definately while assembling ur Hardware u might have gone through the data Sheet of different components and there has been specificaaly mentioned the Operating Voltages, current and Power ratings.

So, definately u will have to test the circuit with appropriate Power Supply as well.
http://www.techiesworld.org
  Techies Rules The World

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:38:29 PM »
Hi,

This might be a stupid question, [...] I know what voltage my circuit uses, but I am not sure about amps.
And then, how do you suppose other people should be able to guess what you didn't care to measure ?

Before selecting any components at all, know all the needed specs. Otherwise, there's only luck to build on - and engineering was never a game of luck.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »
So you are experiencing engineering - you have to design the whole system to select individual components . . . and each individual component affects the whole system. Its very overwhelming at first but gets easier as you learn.

I find the easiest way to build a system is to divide it up in to smaller isolated subsystems. For example: power regulation circuit, amplifier circuit, microcontroller circuit, motor driver circuit, etc. Then connect them all together.

So what do you want this transistor to do? (you forgot the specs!)

and engineering was never a game of luck.
there was once my circuit went up in smoke . . . and then when I turned it back on it mysteriously still worked and I couldnt find anything wrong . . . some luck involved :P

and an exception to the magic smoke rule . . .

Get Your Ad Here