Author Topic: Atmega8L not detected by PonyProg2000  (Read 5238 times)

Offline vishalsaxenaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Atmega8L not detected by PonyProg2000
« on: July 07, 2008, 04:46:58 AM »
Well Im using ATmega8L for my $50 robot
 and Ive connected my programmer to MCU But whenever
I do interface setup on ponyprog2000
and click on probe, it always FAILS!!!   WHY???????????

Im using a programmer bought from here( details of programmer ):
http://www.robokits.org/products/?p=productsMore&iProduct=14&sName=AVR-Serial-ISP-Programmer

Ive 6pinout programmer.. and have connected to 10 pinouts as:

6pin   - 10pin

vcc  to  vcc
reset to reset
Gnd to Gnd
SCK to SCK
mosi to mosi
nd
Miso to miso

Anything wrong?????????

the computer always sends variable voltage around VCC and GND
of programmer.......( I saw that with the help of my multimeter )

Please help
Thanx

Vishal Saxena
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:10:03 AM by vishalsaxena »

Offline vishalsaxenaTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Atmega8L not detected by PonyProg2000
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
There r also $90 to $120  AVR programmers availible in the market but they r way too much to give........ Tell me admin what should I do????????
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:34:23 AM by vishalsaxena »

Offline benji

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »
even if the atmega isnt hooked to the programmer ponyprob can probe the programmer circuit
so i guess its a problem with your programmer not the atmega
good ol' BeNNy

Offline mohitkhanna3v_infinate

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
im having exacting d same problem. I bought my programmer from dat site as well. Its d same programmer. It programmed my Atmega8 n Atmega16 well initially, but den 1 by 1, all of dem stopped resaponding. PonyProg started showing d error mesage, dat d nmo or unknown device present. I replaced my ATMEGA8 wid ATMEGA16, n it worked well for some time but den again all of a sudden, it also stopped responding.

However, Ive noticed some things

The MOSI link does not blink. But the MISO link always blink when I try 2 program it.

BY default, JTAG is enabled at PORTC, n I had connectred LEDS to all d pins of PORTC, n PINS of JTAG do  glow dimly.

Ive already lost arnd 3 ATMEGA8 and 1 ATMEGA16 one by one.

EXPERTS, HELP!!!

@Vishal,

It seems that uve not given external supply of 5 V to the VCC and Ground Pin. Give that, and it should start being recognised by ponyprog. And do check your settings at PonyProg Setup, Interface Setup. And change it to Serial ISP. (by default its parallel;). Also select the correct AVR that ur programming from the list, or keep that option to AVR Auto.

@Experts

HELP ME ALSO!!! I doubt if the problem is with the programmer, coz virtually, i cant see anything in it except for some resistances and diods. There doesnt seem to b any component which could have gone wrong! And since JTAG pins r glowing, I think dat my AVR is also fine. But since the MOSI pin LED is not blinking at all, i think problem is with the MISO part only. I guess that when i last programmed it correctly, i didnt allow it 2 b verified fully. I pressed the user abort button. Hope dat doesnt matter much, coz after dat my MCU did work d way I programmed it.

And since I dont know Anything abt fuse setting, I didnt change them.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:34:23 PM »
mohitkhanna, it sounds like your battery is either low, or somehow your programmer/circuit is damaging your chips.

Are either of you using a USB to serial adaptor to connect the programmer to your computer? (it won't work if you do)

Offline extreme.aly

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 11:34:25 AM »
well i have the same problem as vishal... i got an atmega8l-8pu.. it cannot probe.... :(
it is really letting me down :(

when i supply power, the led glows....

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 12:25:32 PM »
First, tell us what your setup is (programmer, how it connects to the computer, how it connects to the atmega). A picture would also help.
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

Offline mohitkhanna3v_infinate

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »
 @ Admin

Im using voltage regulator 7805, n my multimeter is showing constant suppy of 5V between AVR's VCC vs Gnd Pin.

As for the setup, il soon upload the snaps. let me explain the setup verbally now

||ATMEGA16||-------||AVR Serial  ISP Programmer|| --------- ||Serial Cable|| --------- || Pony Prog||

pin configuration is exactly same as vishal has explained above.... i dont know wether its problem of programmer, coz it has programmed many times, after older atmega stopped being detected. but yesterday i bought new atmega16, n dey r also not being detected!

as for the programmer, im using d same programmer as vishal has mentioned. its bought frm the same site.
http://www.robokits.org/products/?p=productsMore&iProduct=14&sName=AVR-Serial-ISP-Programmer

please help!

do you think that if i make a parallel port programmer myself, then my Atmegas would b detected?
can ny1 suggest a good, safe, working and reliable circuit for dis. i dont want to damage my parallel port of computer.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 08:02:08 PM »
@ Admin
I'm not the only one here ;)

||ATMEGA16||-------||AVR Serial  ISP Programmer|| --------- ||Serial Cable|| --------- || Pony Prog||
huh? do u mean dis?
atmega -> avr ISP programmer -> serial to USB adaptor -> pony prog software?

I c simlr ques here:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DGUS,DGUS:2006-11,DGUS:en&q=atmega16+ponyprog

coz it has programmed many times, after older atmega stopped being detected
doz u older atmega work if u put it back in? sound like circuit prblm. loose solder joint? check *everything* wit multimetr.

oh, and if u spell lik dis it b hard 2 undrstand, yo ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list