Author Topic: Multiple Axon in one robot?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Karl38Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Multiple Axon in one robot?
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »
I'm just wondering if two or more Axon microcontrollers can be wired to gether to make a super Axon Microcontroller to have more I/O ports more UART ports and more memory.

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: Multiple Axon in one robot?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »
It's possible, but you would have to write a lot of custom code. If i where to do it, i would use a Uart on each to connect them together and send data back and forth.

If you are just looking for more IO, you can get PWM boards and ADC boards that will give you more IO and only use a Uart on your Axon.

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »
You can actually do it quite easily(although there is a lot of coding involved), it's called TWI(Two-Wire Interface, or I2(squared)C as it's also known. Take a look at this member written tutorial. Also look at the ATMEGA640's datasheet on it. Hope that helps you.  :)

http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/35
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:08:05 PM by galannthegreat »
Kurt

Offline galannthegreat

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Blue-Lensed Blue LEDs?! What?! Impossible!!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:19:33 PM »
Actually, now that I've done a bit more reading, I don't think it's possible(not that I know of). Take a look at SPI(Serial Peripheral Interface).
Kurt

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:45:28 AM »
Actually, now that I've done a bit more reading, I don't think it's possible(not that I know of). Take a look at SPI(Serial Peripheral Interface).

The Axon can be configured as a device instead of a master, so you can have two of them on the interface.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:40:10 PM »
Hi,

An I/O-expander would be the sensible choice here, if it's just more I/O you're after.

If you want what's called distributed computing, you can use any other controller for sub modules. I usually go with one (small) controller to handle all steering, one (or two) for the sensors and so on. A master controller then just have to act as a conductor (of the orchestral kind) and can send orders to actuators like "turn left by 15°" and the steering does it's job without burdening the master. When the position (here 15°) is reached, it sends an "OK, I've reached the position of 15° now", which is read from the master at a convenient time and answered with a "OK, I hear you".

This makes it very easy to shift modules around and your main program can be simple (just like each module) and hey, controllers are cheap, especially the small PICs I use.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Although I'm having trouble imaging a robot with more I/O requirements than a single Axon can handle, I can say its *extremely* easy to link many together without much code.

Since the Axon has 4 UARTs, connect them with a UART and just use rprintf to send data/commands. And use the GetByte() command to receive data:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/axon/axon_function_list.shtml#uart

For example, here I linked two Axons together wirelessly using UART, and then my laptop with another UART:
IR Transceiver Demo

Get Your Ad Here

data_list