go away spammer

Author Topic: beta test of new SoR site feature  (Read 6028 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
beta test of new SoR site feature
« on: November 20, 2006, 07:19:02 PM »
In the coming month or so me and dunk will be conducting a beta test of new software to give SoR members free webspace to document their robots.

All active SoR forum members who have already built robots are qualified. Pics, videos, and wisdom wanted. Source code, schematics, cad drawings, equations, tips - all desired! All credit goes to the creator.

The point is not to say 'hey, my robot is cool,' but instead to say 'hey, this is what I learned, and what I can teach the world.' Its the next step in my dream to make a huge 'how to make a robot' database for everyone  :)

If you are interested in participating, just reply to this post and give us a quick blurb about your robot. An attached pic gives you bonus points  :P

We will contact you in the coming weeks when we have it up and running.

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
Re: beta test of new SoR site feature
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 08:41:35 PM »
Admin,

You're welcome to put either a copy of my Seeker 2 page, or a link to it. It has a lot of detail, including pictures, a simplified schematic, the full source code, and a bunch of movies, not to mention a boat-load of descriptive text.

http://www.huv.com/miniSumo/seeker2/

- Jon

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:09:40 PM »
The beta has been launched:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/

Ill be accepting only 2 or 3 people initially, until the bugs are worked out and the interface is made prettier.

Message me!

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:27:53 PM »
Ok the beta has been launched and 2 people have signed up. Im looking for another 2 people to help me work out the bugs so I can make this public by New Years.

For those who are interested, I have the basic guidelines up:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/9

(JonHylands, I put your page up here:http://www.societyofrobots.com/member_tutorials/node/11)
The editor is setup in such a way that all you need to do is copy/paste the page from the browser directly into the editor to transfer a page fully.

Offline JonHylands

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Builder/ Software Developer
    • Jon's Place
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:26:24 AM »
Admin, thanks, it looks good. I should probably reorganize the page a little to be more "tutorial-like" and less a progress log...

I've got a pile more pictures of the robot in various states of build, which might help people to see how it all fits together (which isn't obvious once it actually is together).

Can you set me up with an ID, so I can take care of that?

- Jon

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:33:57 PM »
For those who have signed up for accounts, I will now inform you that the software is now in its final beta stages (huge thanks to dunk!!!). I just need user feedback for those last tweaks, and a few good tutorials, before its finally released into the wild  :P

Offline AdvsNoob

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Younge Inventer
    • Uni Coding
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 11:16:59 PM »
For those who have signed up for accounts, I will now inform you that the software is now in its final beta stages (huge thanks to dunk!!!). I just need user feedback for those last tweaks, and a few good tutorials, before its finally released into the wild  :P
I like it so far, easy to make tutorials and find new things with the site. Although when i made a tutorial it was kinda hard to see it and find it. and when i wasn't signed in i could not see my tutorial until the next day.

Get Your Ad Here