Author Topic: HC11 on a W7 64 bit system?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline ChrisWTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
HC11 on a W7 64 bit system?
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
getting back into microcontrollers and robotics after a bit of a time away. (~10 yrs) found that most of my software for my trusty HC11 is quite antiquated (yes i did have to get a friend to get it off some 3.5 disks), mainly they will not work on a 64 bit system...... has anyone had any luck programming an HC11 on a windows 7 64 bit system? (loading the *.s19 file) the dl11.exe software will only work on a 32 bit system.

i have e-mailed Freescale, after a couple of weeks i got a e-mail back telling me to purchase a 800$ software set for their HC08 controllers. other web searches are coming up dry.

i have a Botboard+ which was sold buy Kevin Ross (Seattle Robotics Society), i also have the serial to rs232 cable for the board that was in the package. until recently it was installed in my NAIT project helping me earn my diploma in '01. the micro is the HC11E2, currently running at 8 MHz crystal.

i have looked at the HC12s but was hoping to knock off some rust working on the HC11. worst case i could grab some PICs or play around with my Mega8 (solarbotics) sumo but its either nostalgia or maybe a need to prove that my brain still works (not to mention that i do have a bunch of the things about :D)

thanks in advance,
-Chris
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:00:14 PM by ChrisW »

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
Re: HC11 on a W7 64 bit system?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:31:12 AM »
Hello Chris, and welcome to SoR!

If  your software supports DOS, try DOSBox: http://www.dosbox.com/

If you have an install disk for Windows XP or earlier then you can install it as a guest OS in a virtual machine like VirtualBox:  http://www.virtualbox.org/  or 

If all else fails then you *might* be able to use FreeDOS:
http://www.freedos.org/
I have not personally used FreeDOS, and it may not work with your software.

Hope this helped!

Voyager2
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »
Thanks Voyager2,

i'll give DOSBox a try at any rate. some of the developers at work also suggested PuTTY. i think my only hurdle is getting the code to the chip. i think the compiler will still work but as the boys at work said i never tend to do things the easy way :D

-Chris

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »
sorry for the double post but DOSBox solved my issue. funny that use an archaic simulator for archaic software.

thanks again, should be moving servos and blinking lights in no time .... just have to dig out my notes from school..........