Author Topic: Convert RC Toy To PC Controlled Robot  (Read 3188 times)

Offline GrimBotTopic starter

• Helpful? 4
Convert RC Toy To PC Controlled Robot
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »
Hello, I was wondering what would be involved with converting remote controlled toys into robots.

Here is an example: 

I'm thinking if I run the wires from the controller and then insert them into some other kind of controller board that connects to a computer I could send signals to the robot (dig dig).  If this "toy" requires batteries I'd like to rewire the toy so that it receives power from an alternative (probably a solar bank).  I have info requests in elsewhere but I'm hoping that I can have a few robots doing some tasks with an overseer robot that just watches them and manipulates their controls on the computer screen, like a macro that uses visual event triggers on a "turn based" operation where the overseer bot manipulates the controls of each of the bots to get them in place before performing functions and once it gets each of the bots into position it runs additional macros for that turn.

Offline SeekingVision

• Helpful? 0
Re: Convert RC Toy To PC Controlled Robot
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »
I've taken these types of toys apart before. The cheaper the toy, the easier it will be to convert. To simplify controlling the flow of electricity I would recommend using small relays unless you are comfortable using low voltage control of transistors.
Robots are our children and will inherit the Earth.

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:57:42 AM »
Thanks, it is still something that I'm thinking about but wasn't sure if it was worth perusing.

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:33:57 AM »
Do you have any links on tips for how to convert a wireless RC toy to a wired one? Preferably one connected to a breadboard to PC setup or something close?

I see tutorials on how to convert wired to wireless, so maybe I could just do it backwards? I also see some help on how to convert wireless to a wired remote, and it may have everything I'm looking for, just not PC controlled.

I'm just looking for tips since you said you have done it already.

Here is some videos I found interesting.

Wired remote control to replace RC receiver:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxRE3DfAZjg

Arduino Project- RC Car controlled by PC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3n2jrk2Yiw

• Helpful? 4
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:50:54 AM »
To possibly widen my choices of toys to modify to PC control, what do you think about ease and complexity level on just making any toy vehicle and adding some bits and turning it into a PC controlled robot?

I know if it is just a paperclip like axle, with no steering mechanism I could probably only make it go forward and backward by hooking up a single servo and a gear to the axle. That might be all the action I need for that particular vehicle though. If I can get multiple toys moving around with sensor cues to have the toys pass work off to each other maybe I can get some productivity out of it. Maybe the whole set does nothing but dig in a hole and then work the dirt out of the hole and drops it off a ramp into container already on a dolly, slow yeah, but I'd rather have it do it slow, all day, than for me do it.

But what about appendage action? Just attach some servos and springs? Record servo position and test the playback and just call that action to the appendage whenever it is needed?

What do you think, how would you go at it?

fun fun fun
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 03:57:46 AM by GrimBot »

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 06:59:45 PM »
 8) Cool!   8)
To address this part of your question;
Do you have any links on tips for how to convert a wireless RC toy to a wired one? Preferably one connected to a breadboard to PC setup or something close?
I see tutorials on how to convert wired to wireless, so maybe I could just do it backwards? I also see some help on how to convert wireless to a wired remote, and it may have everything I'm looking for, just not PC controlled.

You need to get ahold of the serial data train. That is, the command data from the controller to the toy.
Intercept this, and put the serial data on the wireless, and Voila! Wireless control.
(hopefully it is that simple) Keep me posted.....  ;D

Get Your Ad Here