Author Topic: UAV project [PHASE 1]  (Read 12807 times)

Offline izaktjTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: UAV project [PHASE 1]
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
Hi guys, I'm back. I know it took long, like a year to come back. I might have looked mediocre, and just one of the rest who tried and gave up; but not today. In the past months I've gathering the electronics needed for completing stage one of this project, which was simply building an RC plane, and I successfully did it. I finally got in my head the saying "Buy cheap, buy twice" so I went ahead and purchased reliable metal gear servos and American made brush-less motor among other electronics. As the cost was high, the acquisition time was spread in several tranches spaced by a couple of weeks to each other.
As I finished and totaled the Phase 1 RC plane after a lot of fun, I was amazed at the idea of designing it trough CAD software such as Google sketchup, and bringing it to life, like talented talented hobbyists do. So I did my research, asked for tips and finally achieved success with my first prototype. Of course, with the help of Bill Seagraves, Scott Lott and Tomas Hellburg.

I feel very successful after seeing this baby grow from a single face in Google Sketchtup, to a PDF plan and finally to a foamie. For me, it is a great sucess to do it, learning to use CAD software and producing it at the scale as I planed, in other words, everything went as I planed :D

Here are some pics, first the electronics and hardware I needed:

Secondly, the CAD design:

Thirdly, the printed plans (I ran out of glue so I had to use tape):

And Finally the almost ready to fly prototype:

Now, this is nowhere near the aircraft configuration I'm going to use, this is only for learning purposes of using CAD software to design and bring it to life. The configuration I'll use will most likely look like a glider or a variable wing sweep design. I forgot to take a pic of the printed plans haha
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:11:39 PM by izaktj »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 08:53:31 PM »
Bad news, I crashed it. Here are the last pics I took of it, showing servo and general electronics placement.

The control surfaces were not giving enough pitch or roll, ending in an uncontrollable crash against the fence. Luckily, the on board electronics were unharmed.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:55:08 PM by izaktj »

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »
Your control surfaces are too small, you should extend them all the way out to the wingtips like a flying wing type RC craft.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
Oh absolutley, I knew it was going to be lacking authority. But I went for it anyway haha
I was interested in the simple thrust vectoring (just add a whole to the elevon) but anyway, it is not the configuration for the project so it isn't that important.
Next protoype will look more like a glider, very similar to the on Dunk suggested if not the same.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 01:17:21 PM »
Slight modifications for greater control surfaces. I might add vertical stabs later if needed, which very probably will.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »
Damn it so much homework  >:(
I won't get a chance to work on it until Thursday  :'(

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »
Man just a suggestion.... try adding some vertical wing... it will be too unstable to fly a straight line....
And you don't have the computer to correct it right now....
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 06:27:56 PM »
Just a comment . . .

I noticed your prop is located approximately around the center of mass. The problem with this is that it makes it easy for the plane to rotate about the center of mass - therefore very unstable in wind.

Being unstable isn't always bad, as it makes it very agile too. But only if your controller is good enough, and your IMU is accurate/fast enough . . .

I agree with Tricky, add some vertical rudders. Perhaps one on the end of each wing tip . . .

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 08:12:42 PM »
Thanks guys, yep I'm adding vertical stabs =D
The prop is more likely going to be in the back in this prototype. If it flies good enough I'll move one to the appropriate glider like airframe.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 08:19:59 PM by izaktj »

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »
And something more... Deltawings depend to very low drag (as real planes) and high speeds...
Since you want to smooth out the motion, and not to hit the gas, I also recommend some forward flaps, or, more difficult, incline wings to the system of mass like the predecessor of corsair :-P
For whom the interrupts toll...

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2009, 11:00:07 PM »
haha well that sounds kinda hard
I'm trying to make this fly for fun
I might even drop it and start designing the new one.

I really like the Multiplex Easy Star airframe type, because the motor is basically shielded and it has glider features.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »
Anything can fly with enough power  :D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996848

With the advent of brushless and lipo you dont need wings, just control surfaces. I have seen people attach the power system on a cube of foam and tape on socks for stability. Like socks that go on your feet.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:32 AM »
Anything can fly with enough power  :D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996848

With the advent of brushless and lipo you dont need wings, just control surfaces. I have seen people attach the power system on a cube of foam and tape on socks for stability. Like socks that go on your feet.
lol yeah I remember the sock of jetsett IIRC, and the surfer dude, and snoopy with his own little house xD

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »
lol yeah I remember the sock of jetsett IIRC, and the surfer dude, and snoopy with his own little house xD

And the lawnmower! ;D
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=9141.0

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
lmao thats awesome!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2009, 01:07:34 PM »
Here's the variable wing sweep design I've been working one. It's really ugly though, haha

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2009, 06:32:09 PM »
Looks good! But will be a pain to make autonomous, with different CG levels in different positions. Why is a sweep design needed? It may be cool but not really functional.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 02:53:50 AM »
Well, after much thought and problems. I'm scrapping this project, I simply enjoy much more programming then electronics and building foam airframes.
Anyhow everything is for sale, servos, motors, etc. If interested just shoot me a PM.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 03:10:04 AM »
Anyhow everything is for sale, servos, motors, etc. If interested just shoot me a PM.
Can you put up exactly what you have, condition etc?
Howdy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 03:20:51 AM »
Sure

3 HS-82MG metal gear servos  in very good condition all of them. - $40 for the three of them
Microjet motor & ESC with all the plugs soldered in good condition with a 6x5.5 prop (good for small parkjets). - $25
Li-Po charger/balancer with wall adapter like new - $10

I also have an almost complete parallax sumo bot in good condition for $65 as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:54:27 PM by izaktj »

Offline Hertz32

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »
gr8 idea!! jus wonderin but wot cam do u plan 2 use i cant find a decent 1

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
gr8 idea!! jus wonderin but wot cam do u plan 2 use i cant find a decent 1

I had plan on using the blackfin camera, but not anymore since I'm scrapping this project.

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »
I'm interested in the motor,prop,ESC and Lipo stuff. Do you still have the battery? What make / model are the Motor and ESC?

when i look up that model servo (with metal gears), they sell new for $20 a pop. Are yours special?

http://www.google.com/products?q=HS-82MG%20metal&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:47:06 PM by madsci1016 »

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »
I'm interested in the motor,prop,ESC and Lipo stuff. Do you still have the battery? What make / model are the Motor and ESC?

when i look up that model servo (with metal gears), they sell new for $20 a pop. Are yours special?

http://www.google.com/products?q=HS-82MG%20metal&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

I don't have the lipo as it died.
I'm shocked at the price, I bought mine at $60 each being that the lowest price I found and I really searched for them.
oh wait never mind, it's $60 for all of them. I'll take $40 for the three of them.
For the motor combo go here: http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/microjet-combo-microjet-p-765.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:54:05 PM by izaktj »

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
I'm interested, and will PM you.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list