Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

My Advanced Realistic Humanoid Robot Project

<< < (3/8) > >>

mklrobo:
 8) Hello!
I have been working on the battery problem, for some time, and finally found the solution!  ;D
I think I have stumbled onto a generalized power ratio solution, to use for all robots.
Take a persons square area that they displace, probably about 2 cubic feet. If a robot was to do the
same work a person could do, with the same displacement, the power for the robot maybe could be
boiled down to power in/power out, over a constant of 2 cubic feet displacement. (toys do not take
hardly any power, but they do not perform housework either, so they are disqualified,  :'( )
To calculate the total battery need, add up all the servo amperage draw, the CPU draw, sensors,
etc, as if they were working all the time for an hour. This will give the ampere/hour draw. The batteries
must meet that demand for at least one hour.(hopefully longer) Since the servos are not working
ALL the time, the batteries should last longer. If the power in/power out ratio is 1, then you have
1 hour for work. Any number greater than 1 is good, and could be considered more efficient!
Less than 1, is not efficient, and should be avoided. Therefore, this ratio could provide an engineering
goal, insofaras efficiency. This may be able to be applied, just looking at a robot!
The weight and area of the robot will demand power on that alone, so an estimation of the power
draw of a robot could be estimated. This technique could be used to make bodies, arms, legs, and
other members more efficient, simply from a visual point of view.(assuming weight and area of course)
There may be mechanical cheats, however, like wheels, which may prove more efficient for work.
I will play with this concept, and see if it pans out. Wish me luck!   ;) :) :D ;D

artbyrobot1:
Interesting stuff!  I think a great thing I have to look forward to is that in 5-7 years when I may start looking into the battery powered option instead of just direct wall outlet power, battery technology may have greatly improved and be cheaper to get my hands on...

artbyrobot1:
Here are some recent cool progress shots of the hand coming together!

cyberjeff:
Although I am all for your project, I don't see how you can make all this happen with servos and pulleys.

The robots you see that have any real strength are powered from a common power source and are run by hydraulic actuators which have the advantage of being linear motors. That is an enormous expense.

So, let's digress. Muscles work by contraction, hydraulics don't. You will need hundreds of actuators and they will need to be small and relatively inexpensive.

Let me propose a very old method of mechanical energy controlling various devices, the same  method used in player pianos and those circus orchestras with all the doo dads. They work on a vacuum. Pistons would not need to be metal, they could be neoprene tubes that collapse. There are various possibilities. And some leakage would not be fatal.

At least that is what I have come up with for an "art/music" project I have waiting in the wings.

mklrobo:
 ;D Hello!
CyberJeff has some info;
Let me propose a very old method of mechanical energy controlling various devices, the same  method used in player pianos and those circus orchestras with all the doo dads. They work on a vacuum. Pistons would not need to be metal, they could be neoprene tubes that collapse. There are various possibilities. And some leakage would not be fatal.
That reminded me of some metal cords, called Nitrinol. These metal "strings" shrink when electricity is applied. Each thickness has a certain amperage draw, and pull of torque accordingly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version