Author Topic: complete database crash, resolved, note to users  (Read 2171 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
complete database crash, resolved, note to users
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:10:52 PM »
As some of you know, we have been around for a LONG time, since summer of 2005, beating out just about every robotics community website out there. Much of our innovation has since been copied by the many new websites out there.

This morning, for the first time ever, we suffered a database corruption (zomg!). After 11 hours of bashing heads against tables (not an exaggeration), all 12 years of data has been restored...

....with the exception of posts made on January 13, 2017. Unfortunately that data has gone to robot heaven. If you posted anything then, you will have to repost. Sorry!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:47:23 AM by Admin »

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: complete database crash, resolved, note to users
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
update:

We are going to upgrade the entire server, the hardware, and the software, tonight. This will give us 3x the capability with half the operating costs.

Hopefully the entire process will be smooth and disruption minimal.

If at any time something seems odd, feel free to contact us. If you post anything, keep a backup of it for the next 24 or so hours just in case of the worst. ::)

Offline voyager2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 6
    • Voyager Robotics
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:41:28 AM »
Obligatory relivant xkcd:

I'm glad to see SoR is still alive and kicking, despite lots of old timers seeming to disappear. :-\
I do recomend that you set up an SSL Cert, you'll get  higher ranking in Google, and Chrome and Firefox won't complain about unsecured connections. Take a look at something like Let's Encrypt maybe.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:43:07 AM by voyager2 »
And Admin said "Let there be robots!"
And it was good.

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
lol

The server on the hosts' end occasionally had hiccups, and the MySQL db was in the middle of a write when that happened. It's like a one in a billion chance, but after 12 years it was bound to happen.

I just moved to a new server a few days ago, with an updated OS and everything.

SSL is a bit pointless as we don't really have a need here for encrypted security. No one posts anything personal or political and all purchases are done through Paypal....

I looked over Let's Encrypt, just added it to my list of things to do.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list