go away spammer

Author Topic: How to disable torque/acceleration limits on BLDC motor?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline RollsizzlebeefTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How to disable torque/acceleration limits on BLDC motor?
« on: November 10, 2021, 01:40:38 AM »
I am trying to drive a wheel with a brushless DC motor controlled by an ESC connected to an Arduino. When there is no load on the motor I am able to run the motor fine, so I know the Arduino program and wiring works. However, once I attach the wheel I want to use, the motor (not the ESC) rotates the wheel a little, starts beeping, and shuts off. The wheel should be well within the torque range of the motor. The motor does this if I also program a large step input for speed, so I think this is some kind of safety feature. Has anyone heard of anything like that? How do I control this motor properly?

Link to motor: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-1-8th-2050kv-brushless-sensorless-motor.html#qa[bW9kZT03JnBhZ2U9MSZxdWVzdGlvbl9zZWFyY2hfY29udGVudD0=]

Link to ESC: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HWQ58QX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: How to disable torque/acceleration limits on BLDC motor?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:18:55 AM »
 8)  excelsior!!   8)

Hello! I reviewed the info on your motor;
" The Turnigy TrackStar Sensorless Brushless Motors offer outstanding performance at an incredible price!

Featuring a quality CNC motor can, hand-wound high purity copper windings and powerful sintered neodymium magnets, you wont find a better priced motor of this caliber anywhere else!

The Turnigy TrackStar brushless motors make a great upgrade for 1/8th short course trucks, monster trucks, buggies or anything else that uses 42 size motors.
"

According to the advertisement, I would think the motor would have no problem with the application you are trying
to do. However, " there is many a slip, between the cup and the lip".   :'(

What I am saying, is consider the following;

1> review the DC power supply you are using - will it deliver the required amps, and more?  ;)

2> experiment with loads on the wheel with the step programming to find out the parameters of
     what might be going on. - save the data, as this will help you navigate problems in the future.  :-[

3> try a gear down transmission - the motor is rated for running fast, which is great, but may not
     deliver the torque advertised. (reviews for the motor are great IF you have a RC boat)  :-X

I went through the internet briefly looking for reviews of the motor, and found great reviews for RC boats,
but not any for trucks or wheeled vehicles.  :-\

Good luck with your project!  ;)

see you same robot time, same robot channel!   8)

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 02:05:42 PM »
 8)  excelsior!   8)

Hello again!   ;D

Another tactic your could do, is to buy a truck with the motors already on it; take them
off and use those on your project! Sounds crazy,  :o  I realize, BUT, you know those
motors work, AND, as cheap as the RC vehicle get, you probably will pay almost the
same price!  ;)

Good luck with your project!! see you  :) same robot time, same robot channel!!   :)

Offline artbyrobot1

• Helpful? 2
    • www.artbyrobot.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 05:42:08 AM »
I am not aware of any feature of motors that would have them beep and turn off.  I thought they just have windings inside.  The ESC sounds like the culprit here to me.  I don't think motors have built in logic of any sort.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list