go away spammer

Author Topic: Help about Sharp IR sensor GP2D120  (Read 4286 times)

Offline surenTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Help about Sharp IR sensor GP2D120
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:06:11 AM »
seems like they dont need any external circuit to control and it gives a analog output voltage corresponding to the distance.
In my project i need to detect a surface in the range of that sensor..i dont really need to measure the distance..I just need to see whether the surface is present or not..
and i am implementing my motor control by using parallel port ..(i dont want to use any microcontroller)..is it possible to take input from parallel port(with a bit of external circuit ,if required like Analod to digital converter etc)??Plz reply at earliest..
Best Regards,
Suren Kumar

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
Re: Help about Sharp IR sensor GP2D120
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:13:41 AM »
you don't need an ADC for that task. You can do it with a 7414 TTL IC (schmidtt trigger). It will go high when the threshold (I think it's 2.5v) is reached and vice versa (the thresholds are different).

If you need a specific distance to be reached (specific voltage) you can use an OP amp for this task.

As the inputs for the OP amp, use the target voltage in the inverting input (using a pot for calibration) and the sensor output connected to the non-inverting input.

When the sensor voltage goes higher than the target voltage, the op amp will go high.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
thanks for your reply..
I think using a comparator like LM339 would be a good bet for this..and it comes really cheap.Do u have any info on the cost for the thing you are proposing??

Offline KambeiX

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:26:52 PM »
well a comparator, op amp or 7414 won't cost you more than 0.5 and 2 resistors or a pot will cost less than that so the total won't be more than $1 =P

the comparator of course would be the best solution, but on the inside is basically an op amp, so you can use one if you have one and don't want to buy a comparator.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:40:18 PM »
you can get comparators as free samples from Maxim, and they give you free 2nd day shipping  8)
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:30:49 PM »
Hi Brandon,
i saw the website of Maxim..but i cudnt locate where they offer the free stuff.
I have still not bought my Sharp Sensor.Please give me the web address of some robo-shop that can do it.I am from India.Please do tell me about shipping charge if u have any info on that.
Best Regards,
Suren Kumar
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:32:33 PM by suren »

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 09:22:28 PM »
http://www.maxim-ic.com/parts.cfm?p=MAX932
sorry I don't know what their shipping policies are... you could try to email their tech support
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »
I think it may be easier to just buy a ready made microcontroller setup that has a built-in motor driver.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list