Author Topic: need some ideas/help with addons for my robot.  (Read 3331 times)

Offline 123laurensTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
need some ideas/help with addons for my robot.
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:42:17 AM »
OK, finished my 1st robot, i currently have these parts:
arduino
shield with Xbee, SD card, external power for servos support
a failed attempt at the 50$ brain
2 full rotation servos
infinite lightweight strong thin wood.
1 mini servo and IR range finder.
and IR remote, and IR receiver combo
a few electronics parts, but no breadboard(I lost it!)

so, this is what i have made it do:
RC car using remote
obstacle avoidance
intelegent obstacle avoidance(checks in witch direction the distance is greater, and turns in that direction)

this is what i am planning to buy/add:
Bluetooth bee, or 2 Xbees and some computer converter for computer interfacing
a compass, so it can make proper 90 degree turns
2 more motors so it will drive outdoors/carry more weight / more drive control.

but i'm running out of ideas, and I don't seem to have plans to build other robots, just to add to this one.
what other things should i add/ make it do, or do you have ideas for completely different robots?
another catch: I live in SA, and i would like that the parts you recommend are available in the only 2 stores i found in SA:
www.netram.co.za , http://www.botshop.co.za/ .

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline rbtying

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 31
Re: need some ideas/help with addons for my robot.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:58:33 AM »
Add a robot arm, do some line following, work on SLAM algorithms - there's lots of stuff to do.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »
Add a robot arm, do some line following, work on SLAM algorithms - there's lots of stuff to do.
mmm, how whuld i controll a robot arm, without a camera? and how wud i be able to tell the diference between a wall and a box to lift?
i had that idea, but i have now clue how to find stuff.

line following, sounds interesting. i guess just use photo-sensor things. ill write that one down, might need some thinking on the "line" part.

SLAM, googled it, some sort of path end checking. that is either way to advanced for me, or not what you meant.

o, and my bujet is R500 , just so you know, so cameras are both not available in SA and too expencive.
i am, however, planning to show-off my robot at school, and ask for donations! so ideas that cost lots can still be taken, but probably wont be executed.

tnx for that line idea so far!

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »
SA = South Australia?

Looking for a challenging feature to implement that mostly requires improvements in software is definitely the budget way to go....  Right now my work is mostly focused on playing with software for my 4 legged bot, but that's not a cheap initial investment.

No idea how much R500 is, but I'll just note that the Trendnet IP110 camera is a reliable option if you do decide to go with adding a wireless camera for remote operation (Also, no idea how big your bot is... camera's not the smallest)
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »
SA=South Africa, the TLD's on the referred shops are .za  (Zuid-Afrika, they "ruling class" are Dutch immigrants).
And while things have bettered over the last couple of decades, we could all still sing "Gimme hope Johanna"  :-\

I'll second the line follower application. It's fairly simple to do, but still presents a challenge to optimize and for a school project it's good since people seems to be very amazed of 'bot's that cling well to a line.

Taking in ideas for the future is best left to the future, one step at a time is the way to build knowledge and smartness.
In the mean time... Don't pass on discarded electronics devices - everything can be a potential source of "building blocks" and chassis parts.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:00:54 AM by Soeren »
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:31:24 AM »
Thanks, ill also buy a large beadboard, there cheap, reuseable, and usefull.
currently still experementing with what I have.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 11:26:52 PM »
Holy s***!
Buget is now R1500 rand, aprox. 208.0095 U.S. dollars at this time.
What shuld i invest in?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »
im planning on e-mailing netram on weather they can stock the tellymate and a set of wheels, since they distribute from sparkfun.
do you think its a good idea to make a 4 wheeled? does that use to mutch power? I have 4X AA batteries powering servos currently, and 9V for the chip.
this is the E-mail so far:(for those who are interested,or whatever)
Hello, I am planning to make another order for robotics/hobby purposes. My previous order was made in sparkfun, before i noticed that there was a distributor in South Africa. You seem to stock quite a few parts, but I need a set of wheels (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/421 ) with your full rotation servos, so it can be 4-wheeled, or so i can have 2 2 wheeled. Is it possible to stock these?

Also, I want to display text on a screen, using 2 ardurino’s and Xbees to communicate, 1 the robot and the other the controller, showing a map of where the robot has been on-screen. For this i will probably want to use the tellymate (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9313), a great looking shield witch acts like a large LCD screen, also allowing for different fonts.
I’m not sure when I will place or make this order, but I am in no hurry.

Thanks in advance.

its not sent yet, BTW

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
new question:
shud i invest in 2 more servos and a set of wheels, or is 2 wheels enough?
the difference is R250, and I cannot decide.I am buying another ardurino for remote controll purposes, here is what i am ordering:(or going to at a very late stage)
http://sprkfn.com/w23452

this is a hard decision...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list