Author Topic: Robot Arm End Actuator Help  (Read 2181 times)

Offline ChrisYardTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Robot Arm End Actuator Help
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
Hi All,

I need some help with my robot arm.  I have built many wheel/tracked based robots with sensors and so on... I have a requirement now to build a (well actually 2) robot arms.  I have got so far in that I have a rotating base and the arm.  The end actuator is were I am now stuck.

The requirement is that the 'hand' is a pincer grip that it can rotate 180 both in the horizantal and vertical planes.

I have the Pincer working fine, and I can make the hand move up and down fine.  I am having a problem making it rotate.

Can any one point me in the right direction as this is really bugging me now.

Offline VegaObscura

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
Re: Robot Arm End Actuator Help
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
How much weight does the hand need to be able to support (including the weight of the hand itself)?  If its not much, it should be possible to just attach a servo to the end of the arm and mount the hand on the servo horn.  Just make sure you don't apply enough weight to cause the servo to seize.

If you plan on lifting too much for a servo output shaft to handle, it will take some engineering.

Offline ChrisYardTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Re: Robot Arm End Actuator Help
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:53:15 AM »
I was planning to using a motor to turn it rather than a servo, due to limited space both on 'hand' and arm.

The weight of the object(s) will vary, at the moment the most will be a can of coke ?!? But I would like to make a bigger one afterward that can lift a bigger weight (upto 1kg??)

data_list