go away spammer

Author Topic: NPN Transistor current leak?  (Read 2782 times)

Offline newInRoboticsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
NPN Transistor current leak?
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:53:14 AM »
########################################
I did not use pull-down resistor - that was my problem
########################################

Hi everyone

Background:
Yesterday I have connected a 12V PC fan through a NPN transistor (BC549C). Collector was connected to a negative wire of the a fan and Base was connected to regulated 5V from USB via Button and 15ohm Resistor.

My question is:
How come fan started to spin very slowly with Base of the transistor disconnected. After pressing the button fan got to full speed; after realeasing the button fan slowed down but did not stop.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:39:46 PM by newInRobotics »
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: NPN Transistor current leak?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:58:01 AM »
Hi,

Background:
Yesterday I have connected a 12V PC fan through a NPN transistor (BC549C). Collector was connected to unregulated 12V from battery and Base was connected to regulated 5V from USB via Button and 15ohm Resistor.
Always use a PNP in that position.
And always use a base tier if you don't drive the base continually. Making it float means it will act as an "antenna" picking up noise and such.

My question is:
How come fan started to spin very slowly with Base of the transistor disconnected. After pressing the button fan got to full speed; after realeasing the button fan slowed down but did not stop.
Because you didn't use a base pull down and used an NPN on the high side.
Change to a PNP and pull it's base high with 5k to 100k and it won't leak  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline newInRoboticsTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 48
  • N.I.R.
Re: NPN Transistor current leak?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:37:55 AM »
Because you didn't use a base pull down and used an NPN on the high side.
I did use NPN on low side  :P however I did not use pull-down resistor - that was my problem  ;D Thanks  :)

Edit: I have corrected my previous post as it said that NPN was used as high side switch which it wasn't.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:37:17 PM by newInRobotics »
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian W

Get Your Ad Here

data_list