Author Topic: How To Avoid The Front Hitting The Stair First Before The Tread  (Read 1722 times)

Offline MastermimeTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
How To Avoid The Front Hitting The Stair First Before The Tread
« on: September 14, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
Hello,

I am building a robot with climbing treads (where it is angled upward in the front) and a pyramid shaped front for blowing through things such as walls or other debris.  The climbing treads are used for climbing stairs and what not.  I was wondering how I would design my robot so the treads will hit the incline first rather than the pyramidal (Is that a word?) front, but when something such as a wall comes up, the front will still be able to hit the wall first rather than the tread.  Will I just need high ground clearance?  I am not sure.

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer ยท Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: How To Avoid The Front Hitting The Stair First Before The Tread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:10:43 PM »
Pics?

What I'm envisioning is that for the front of the bot, from the ground up to the height of a stair, the first thing encountered would be treads. above the height of the stair, the chassis would be encountered.

At the same time, why is this a problem?  Do you plan to mount a touch sensor (i.e. button) on the wall-hitting part of the chassis?  Or are you planning on driving around blindly and hitting stairs by pure chance? o_O
I

Offline MastermimeTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
Re: How To Avoid The Front Hitting The Stair First Before The Tread
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
Pics?
Sorry I do not have any pictures right now.  I am still in the designing process. 
At the same time, why is this a problem?  Do you plan to mount a touch sensor (i.e. button) on the wall-hitting part of the chassis?  Or are you planning on driving around blindly and hitting stairs by pure chance? o_O
This robot will be teleoperated from my laptop.  The problem I am worried about is that the pyramidal (I'm just going to keep using this word  :D) front will hit the stairs first and the treads won't be able to reach the stairs.  Therefor making it incapable to climb stairs.  I dont know, maybe I am making up problems that aren't likely to occur.

Get Your Ad Here