go away spammer

Author Topic: Robot Starter Set for 11 year old  (Read 2908 times)

Offline zwillisTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Robot Starter Set for 11 year old
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »
We have a birthday party for our nephew on Sunday... he just joined the robotics club at school and is really into it. I want to get him a home starter set. I thought about getting him a graph paper journal for him to sketch out ideas and make notes; a "robot journal" of sorts. But what else. Not a techy guy and don't have time to order online... ideas?

Offline Klayton

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Robot Starter Set for 11 year old
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
Instead of getting a graph paper journal you can make your own using excel. Open the program and where the columns and rows meet there is a tab to the left of a and above 1. click that and it highlights the entire sheet. Then change the column width to 25 pixels, This is 1/4 inch on my computer but you can go to the view tab-> and under workbook view change to page layout to see the ruler and change the column width to what is a 1/4 inch. Look at the pixel number when you do this and change row height to that pixel number. Now you have perfect 1/4 inch graph paper.

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:26:46 PM »
I'm confused with the term "home starter set" and then your getting him a graph paper journal... How much stuff and how much moolah are you planning on here?

Instead of getting a graph paper journal you can make your own using excel. Open the program and where the columns and rows meet there is a tab to the left of a and above 1. click that and it highlights the entire sheet. Then change the column width to 25 pixels, This is 1/4 inch on my computer but you can go to the view tab-> and under workbook view change to page layout to see the ruler and change the column width to what is a 1/4 inch. Look at the pixel number when you do this and change row height to that pixel number. Now you have perfect 1/4 inch graph paper.
Sounds like a lot of work.  Google "free graph paper" or some such and you can generate PDFs to any grid size you want :)
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »
Hi,

If he haven't got one already, buy him a cheap DMM (Digital Multimeter). It's the most useful single tool you could get him and it is actually indispensable when building robots as well as in general electronics (and for checking mains lamps and installations - but better not let him do that just yet).

I could be had for somewhere in the range of $4 to $10 in a hardware store or similar and its value to the kid will be a hundred times that  ;D

Paper on the other hand... Ever known a kid that would go *Yah* when getting paper?  ;)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
I could be had for somewhere in the range of $4 to $10 in a hardware store
You're selling yourself too cheap Soeren  :D
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I could be had for somewhere in the range of $4 to $10 in a hardware store
You're selling yourself too cheap Soeren  :D
Well, high mileage, fairly (ab)used and with a few dents here and there ;)

I better stay out of hardware stores the coming days, or add that this would buy a couple of minutes of my time in a business setting  ;D
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

Offline Gertlex

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Actually I'd argue a Dremel is more useful than a multimeter when building a robot ;)  Plus it's more dangerous, and thus more fun! (Get safety glasses or face shield with said dremel, too) (also, corded >>> cordless)
I

Offline georgeecollins

• Helpful? 3
    • Backyard Robots
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
I love the idea of getting tools.  A multi-meter is a great idea, so is a dremel.   I think I was about that age when I got like a 75-1 electronics kit and then a soldering iron.   

Here are some basic robot hobby tool ideas:
http://www.backyardrobots.com/tools/buildtools.shtml

You are a great parent to be thinking about this. 

Offline zwillisTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:43:38 PM »
Reasons I love the Internet. Thanks for the ideas. We were at a complete loss...

Keep th em coming. Going shopping tonight.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
Hi,

Actually I'd argue a Dremel is more useful than a multimeter when building a robot ;)
Everything you can do with a Dremel can be done with other tools, but you cannot measure voltage, current, resistance etc. without a multimeter, so I'll have to disagree :)
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

Get Your Ad Here

data_list