Author Topic: Disabled gamer needs your help!  (Read 1332 times)

Offline pooky73Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Disabled gamer needs your help!
« on: April 30, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »
I'm a quadriplegic and need help with modifying my controller.  I can't press the R1 button so I'm trying to rig up a push solenoid to that button.  I need help finding a very small push solenoid that can operate on a 9 volt battery or a battery pack with AA batteries or something like that.  The smaller I can make everything the better.  The R1 button does not require much EFFORT or PRESSURE so any solenoid should work but I can't find one that would work with small batteries.  They all say 12 volt! I intend to use some kind of mouth switch to activate it like this - http://www.conceptusinc.com/tongueswitch.htm
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
[email protected]

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Disabled gamer needs your help!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
Hi,

I can't press the R1 button
Could you be a bit more specific?
What is an "R1" button and on what controller (controller usually means microcontroller here)?
What about mounting anything to the "whatever" that is having this button?

The smaller I can make everything the better.  The R1 button does not require much EFFORT or PRESSURE so any solenoid should work
Could you put some numbers on that?
Buttons can vary in needed pressure from a few grams to several hundred grams or more and we don't know your frame of reference. Ïf you have no way of obtaining the numeric data, could you perhaps compare it to something generally known?
The numbers needed is initial pressure (in grams/ounces/whatever) and travel (in mm/inch/etc).

but I can't find one that would work with small batteries.  They all say 12 volt!
They do come in "all" sizes, but it needs to be able to push the button with the least amount of energy spent if run from a battery.
Another option is to bridge the switch of the button with a transistor, if the circuitry allows it. This will be much leaner on a battery.
You may even be able to install a 3.5mm jack socket on the controller and use the tounge switch to bridge the button directly through that connector.

I intend to use some kind of mouth switch to activate it like this - http://www.conceptusinc.com/tongueswitch.htm
You need at least a transistor, a couple of resistors and a diode in between the switch and the solenoid (if you still want the solenoid), as trying to run the solenoid directly from the tongue switch would wear down the switch contacts in no time, due to inductive kick-back from the solenoid.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline pooky73Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Disabled gamer needs your help!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:39:06 PM »
Well that idea sounds great.  I contacted a company that mods ps3 controllers to add that jack socket and plug in the tongue switch.   That may be an easy quick fix without needing a solenoid!  Thanks........

Get Your Ad Here