Author Topic: Axon clone  (Read 7926 times)

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Re: Axon clone
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 09:24:32 PM »
Yes, the very first principle of a JDM programmer... :-P

I'm totally for the project and totally against it in the same time...
If it's a clone you limit it so it is one... that's bad... it's a costume PCB including all that fun etc etc etc you get from such a project...

And developing such PCB isn't easy at all... so it's good for you to do this... It's very good in fact :-)

And admit, I really really love you but wouldn't a clone just have the same support as the original... I mean it's the Atmega1280...
The same micro... I don't really think he would be asking for reseting problems..... :P  ::) ::) ::)

Generally, I'm for people building their own stuff and don't depending on ready solutions... It's boost creativity, well when time isn't a factor... :-P
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline catalinene33Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:00 AM »
Hi,

First, I want to thank those who support this topic and I understand that this idea is not to depose any of the admin's projects or original Axon  (not the other but I am very grateful to Admin in terms of work and time spent in creating this community and to open the minds of many people). ;)

To be concise and simple in expression I will list some of the reasons I made this clone (which is a clone of the combined Axon I and Axon II):
1) my salary/month is somewhere in ~ 200EU - axon is somewhere in ~ 100EU with all the transportation.
2) I made several projects with ATMEGA 8, 168, 32, and wanted to jump to another level.
3) I wanted to offer students and people who can not afford an Axon, the opportunity to create one and learn something of electronics.
4) (I think the most important) I tried to increase the number of those who want to develop Axon community for the benefit of the original Admin project.

Thank you for understanding, and I will try to post today the .doc promised.

To answer some of your questions before I will make some clearer pictures:
1) Yes, it uses a TQFP100 brakeout (Linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/TQFP-100-TQFP100-TQFP-100-Adapter-SMD-PCB-Double-Side_W0QQitemZ350272904203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518de45c0b)
2) Axon clone uses two ways to feed the 28 + servo power line (for a power supply between 8V and 22V can pass through 6V reg or if you do not use many servo's can feed directly from a source of 4.8V-6V .

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 04:20:59 AM »
hi Catalinene33,
as cost is your primary concern it would be nice to do away with the TQFP100 brakeout board and associated connectors.

i presume you are using the toner transfer method of creating your PCB?
just to let you know it is perfectly possible to do a toner transfer board for TQFP100. (i regularly use TQFP64 which has the same pin spacing.)

you end up having to re-do the "iron on" part a little more often as the finer traces fail to stick when you peel more often
but as long as you use nice warm etchant the etching process is just as reliable.

it does take longer and is a little frustrating but no additional wasted copper boards.

i'm still sceptical about you can achieve your estimated price but would be happy to be proved wrong.
we all like to build things for ourselves. that's why we read SOR.
so good luck with your endeavour.

dunk.

Offline catalinene33Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
Part List and Price: http://ifile.it/epgaodu

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 10:28:07 AM »
Wow, Under $30, thats pretty cheap! Are you going to get professional pcb's made?
Also, you left out the pcb ~$1-2 and the breakout board $1.50. Would it be ok if i had a go at making a fully smd version, excluding the pin headers of coarse?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:30:16 AM by SmAsH »
Howdy

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »
hi Catalinene,
good effort.
still no USB chip, USB connector or (as Smash pointed out) PCB on there yet.

the FT232 is a good USB to UART chip that's not too difficult to solder.

as for a USB connector, probably the cheapest option would be to hack one end off a USB cable and solder it permanently in place.
i think you could miss the price of a hacked cable off the parts list as everyone has *something* lying around broken with a USB plug on the end.

the PCB cost is a tough one to estimate...
it all depends what equipment you have access to. a laser printer is a must for toner transfer
method.
etching solution will be needed too.

off topic but,
Part List and Price: http://ifile.it/epgaodu
wow. what a horrible file sharing system.
you ever used http://docs.google.com?
if you already have a gmail account then you already have an account for it too. just click the "Documents" link at the top of the page.
you can either work on the document online or upload existing docs.
then people can view the doc without needing to download it.

dunk.

Offline Drod

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
Hi! The files expired, can you please re-upload them? Thanks in advance!  ;)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list