go away spammer

Author Topic: DIY 3D printer Project  (Read 2213 times)

Offline vipulan12Topic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
DIY 3D printer Project
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
Hey guys, I want to create my own custom 3d printer(my own design). I have some basic knowledge on how they work but I want  more in-depth information towards the hardware and design of the 3D printer.

Do you guys know of  any books or websites I should check out?

when I mean in-depth I mean all the technical details:

-what hardware is used in the extrude head?(what heats the head  to heat up the plastic?Why do they have a fan?what pushed out the filament and how much is pushed out during a print?)
-Could I use a couple of arduinos to control the stepper motors or should I use something like a raspberry Pi?
-How would I code the G-code into the machine(where do I learn g code?)?

Also what features do 3d printers have that make them attractive?(something I want to keep in mind when I design the printer)
-I heard of the feature of the heating bed auto-leveling itself or something?(could someone explain its importance?)

I don't know any serious knowledge yet so any information is much appreciated

thanks

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
Re: DIY 3D printer Project
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 02:21:50 AM »
google "reprap" and start reading.

Here's one I made using an ARM7 to drive DC brushed motors with encoder feedback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAGvzeQw2Oc
It's all custom except I bought the heated bed and the "hot end" which is the heated nozzle that plastic comes out of.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »
If i wanted to increase the size of the heating bed could I put together some smaller heating beds to makes a larger surface?

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 01:56:52 AM »
If i wanted to increase the size of the heating bed could I put together some smaller heating beds to makes a larger surface?

I don't see why not. Maybe a little thermal insulation under the beds to help keep the edges of the individual heat beds closer to the temp of the active parts of the beds would help avoid cold spots.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
Other than a smaller diameter nozzle(hot end) what else could be done to improve 3D printer resolution?Will using more precise stepper motors make a serious difference?

Offline Billy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:13:11 AM »
What will make it more or less precise will depend on the design.
If the printer you have in mind is one of those kits that you assemble out of plastic joints and metal rods, then stiffening the frame will lead to better repeatability. All the resolution in world means nothing if the machine isn't stiff enough to have good repeatability. The belt drive systems likely aren't that good either for repeatability.

If you can show that hysteresis and general repeatability are better than 1/2 the smallest step size, then a higher step count stepper may help. I'm guessing that a stepper connected to a belt in a flexible frame does not have repeatability good enough to warrant a fancy stepper.

Controlling the feed to the extruder will have an impact as well on repeatability. If the extruded material doesn't have consistent width or height then of course you can't claim a repeatable process.

If you're really just starting with building machines, then go build one, get it working, learn a lot in the process, and use the knowledge you gained to build a better one. You can't get good at something on the web.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »
I have noticed that some extruders have small fans on them,Are they used for cooling the hot end to maintain temperature or is it there to cool the print so that it could solidify quicker? I have also noticed the some 3d printers are enclosed to protect the print from ambient temperature, is this really necessary?

Thanks

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »
Another thing, is the RAMPS board the part of the electronics that interprets the G-code(G-code interpreter)?What is a cheaper alternative I could use?

Get Your Ad Here