Author Topic: Fried USB  (Read 1295 times)

Offline kl22Topic starter

• Helpful? 2
Fried USB
« on: April 11, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »
Hey! (this post mainly goes out to admin)

I don't know if you remember but I was working on the 64bit axon flasher awhile back. I finally got back into it. But seem to have fried my usb port (U1), wondering if you can direct me to where I can get a new CP2102 or if you have an extra Axon lying around.

I and sooo close to finally finishing the flasher (went on a break because of school for the 6 months), but got everything working! but RIGHT when i was about to do my first flash test to the AXON, the regulator fell off again. So i was trying to put it back in place and I seem to have shorted the 3.3V somehow.

Also, I've been struggling to keep the 1.5A low voltage regulator in place (the legs were are broken), please let me know where I can get one in Canada, and or if you have a supply of them.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:57:09 AM by kl22 »

• Helpful? 2
Re: Fried USB
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »
Hey
New plan. I got the voltage regulator back on. But I have fried the CP2102 for sure.

I read on another post and the admin mentioned that there are bootloaders available for different UARTs? Can anyone send me the link? Spent about 2 hours searching through this forum but can't find it.

My plan is to switch the bootloader to use a different UART use my arduino FDTI usb to uart breakout board to program it. This should work?

(Please let me know, want to finish this 64bit uploader by this week)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
to answer your bootloader problem:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=13628.msg100741#msg100741

How did the regulator 'fall off'?! lol

You can buy the CP2102 from mouser.com or from sparkfun:
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/310
(whatever gives you better shipping)

But it's a huge pain to solder, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're an expert at it.

Shorting the 3.3V line would definitely fry the USB :P

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:01:42 AM »
Sorry about the double post in both sections.

The regulator's legs broke off because it kept getting wiggled back and worth from use, and it snapped. I've been too lazy to order one online. So I shaved off the plastic at the bottom where the legs are so more of the leads stick out, and then I soldered some wired to it and then directly onto the Axon. BTW, I would like to see the other form factor of the regulator, or at least the regulator lying flat for your future MCUs:D.

Keep up the amazing work!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »
As long as you keep the pins in the right spot, you can solder it onto the bottom of the Axon and fold it flush to the bottom.

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
Oh yeah that could work too. Thanks!

What I ended up doing is solder a 3 pin female header to the regulator. Then soldered a 3 pin male header to where the regulator would normally sit, so I can just unplug it if I know I'm transporting the Axon or know its going to get beat up :D.

Get Your Ad Here