Author Topic: Can a stray Polystyrene strip cause static on a Motherboard?  (Read 2224 times)

Offline CobblersThumbTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Can a stray Polystyrene strip cause static on a Motherboard?
« on: April 03, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
Hi Guys, Newbie here and looking to gain some knowledge from some smart cookies on here if you allow me.

I recently received my Apple Macbook pro back from a supposedly reputable Apple authorised repair centre. They informed me they had replaced the Logic Board with a new one
under the extended warranty scheme.

I received it back today and the screen just had a kaleidescope of colours and no log on screen.

I opened the bottom casing to reveal the logic board and found a piece of polystyrene foam approximately 4mm in length just laying near one of the boards chip.

Is it possible that upon turning this laptop on the polystyrene piece has caused the board to malfunction due to it causing a Negative electrical charge?

I took a photo of the offending piece if anyone would like to view?

I would sincerely appreciate some info on this matter.

Thank you for reading.  :(

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Can a stray Polystyrene strip cause static on a Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
 ;D Hello!
In my experience, it has been advised that this may be a cause
of a problem; but to completely destroy the computer, I have never
heard of.(Does not mean that it did not happen though!  :-[ )
I can only speculate that if that was there, there might be other
items you may need to look at. Good luck!  ;D ;D

Offline CobblersThumbTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 02:55:01 AM »
Thanks, seems rather bizarre that the company changed the logic board and then declared it had a clean bill of health and when I went to turn it on nothing was being displayed on
the screen.
I will wait to see what they have to say for themselves. Many thanks

Offline Schlayer

• Helpful? 3
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
It's certainly possible that somehow a bit of packaging material got inside the case. There are a lot of reasons when you buy a motherboard (I needed to replace one in my own desktop recently) they come in antistatic bags. Lots of PC parts companies won't accept returned items without them being packaged just-so, often requiring an antistatic bag among other things. It's completely possible that static might have arose from the shifting of packing peanuts during transit, and any kind of static charge can in the worst cases wreck something like a motherboard. This is why antistatic wristbands are recommended when handling such components. There are many reports of the static from wearing socks on a carpeted floor ruining a PC builder's day! I'd say you have every reason to complain to Apple about that being the fault of poor shipping/handling practices which were obviously out of your control. I hope you have some luck getting that resolved!

Get Your Ad Here