go away spammer

Author Topic: Choosing and LED driver  (Read 2326 times)

Offline ksquaredTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Choosing and LED driver
« on: December 15, 2015, 01:46:06 AM »
So, I'm trying to use a 3D printer and my knowledge of computer programming and some engineering circuits classes to build a bicycle light - in this case, a really bright taillight that I can flash during the day to increase my noticability while multi-thousand pound hammers whiz by me at the whims of biologically flawed drivers on my way to work. 

I understand that, for reasons of reliability, is is best to use a current source.  Now, granted, I had to analyze circuits with these things in them, so I think I understand the implications, but actually choosing a real one has been difficult (obviously, I want something fairly insensitive to temperature.)  I go to digikey (try http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/integrated-circuits-ics/pmic-led-drivers/2556628) and I see this:

Flash, switch, automotive, lighting... what?

Which one of these things should I be interested in?  If someone would be so kind as to explain some of the differences or recommend something appropriate, I'd most appreciate it!

For sheer laziness/avoiding true circuit desing, I'll be using some incarnation of the arduino for this, probably.
(For the record thse, are some fairly powerful Cree LEDs (min flux @ 350 mA ~= 70 lumens))
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:49:46 AM by ksquared »

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
Re: Choosing and LED driver
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:52:28 AM »
 ;D Hello!
your request;
3D printer and my knowledge of computer programming and some engineering circuits classes to build a bicycle light - in this case, a really bright taillight that I can flash during the day to increase my noticability.
The short, sweet answer, is; go to advance auto or equivalent automotive store and buy an LED assembly,
that is made for the environment in which you are going to use it. Your 3-D printer could make a nice housing. Some LED's blink, which solves that problem. If not, simple flip-flop circuit kits are available.
Good luck! ;D ;D ;D

Get Your Ad Here