go away spammer

Author Topic: two function controller for robot  (Read 2019 times)

Offline shotzy9Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
two function controller for robot
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »
hello,
I am in a competition for tsa radio controlled transportation and I need help finding a drive system to work for it. I am currently using a vex sytem for all the other control parts but in  the rules it says the propulsion and guidance must be controlled by a single radio  with a maximum of two control functions. It also goes on to say it must work in one of the following ways:
A. a single electric stock with the second servo used to control steering.
B. A pair of servos is used to provide steering and propulsion

The second way would work the best for us but any help is appreciated .

Thank you

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: two function controller for robot
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »
Method B is a very common method for small bots and is called a differential drive. Start by looking through the SoR tutorials found at the top of this page.
The $50 bot uses two servos in this manner and there are other in the tutorials.

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:47:15 PM »
Thanks, could you recommend a two function remote control transmitter that work with the second control option. that would help a lot.

thanks for all the help

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:31:02 PM »
The easiest would be find the RC transmitter that has the ability to mix the signals from two input controls (the joy sticks).
In airplanes this is used to mix the elevator and rudder controls to a Vee tailed airplane.

Alternatively, there are servo mixers made that does this function after the receiver. It is inserted between the receiver and the two servos. Here are a few links so you have an idea of what they are:
http://www.embedds.com/mixer-of-two-servo-signals-for-v-tailed-airplanes/
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/rc_mixers.html

I'm not up the the latest equipment available so hopefully someone here can suggest a particular make and model of RC equipment.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
The easiest would be find the RC transmitter that has the ability to mix the signals from two input controls (the joy sticks).
In airplanes this is used to mix the elevator and rudder controls to a Vee tailed airplane.

Alternatively, there are servo mixers made that does this function after the receiver. It is inserted between the receiver and the two servos. Here are a few links so you have an idea of what they are:
http://www.embedds.com/mixer-of-two-servo-signals-for-v-tailed-airplanes/
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/rc_mixers.html

I'm not up the the latest equipment available so hopefully someone here can suggest a particular make and model of RC equipment.

Another option if the radio doesn't have the mixing is to hold the transmitter at 45 degrees instead of straight, which is kind of a mental mixing of sort.

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 10:04:08 PM »
Another option if the radio doesn't have the mixing is to hold the transmitter at 45 degrees instead of straight, which is kind of a mental mixing of sort.

Like driving a bulldozer. Why didn't I think of that!!

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:15:01 PM »
the mixer sounds great thanks, but im looking on the internet and i cant find a transmitter, so any suggestions on a transmitter would be great.

thanks

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »
As you are a highschooler, I guess the cheapest would be the best?
Since there are legal issues with running standard airplane radios on the ground, a 2.4ghz system is in order -

the cheapest good one would be the Spektrum DX5e for $100 including radio and receiver (froogle it)

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »
just to make sure because i want to get it right for competition, the spektrum only has two control functions right? so it doesnt move the joysticks left and right.

thank you for the help

Get Your Ad Here