Author Topic: Question about servos  (Read 1757 times)

Offline dmny500Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Question about servos
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »
I'm building my first robot but had a couple questions. The first question is just to make sure I'm right but I can modify a 90 degree servo to go 360 right? My assumption is yes but I wanted to make sure cause I think most are 180. The other question is if I buy a Sharp IR range finder then the servo for that has to stay unmodified at 180 (I think) so if I bought a 90 could I make that 180? I plan to use the guide on here to modify the servos but I want to make sure I'm getting the right servos. I do apologize for the dumb questions but please help me out.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Question about servos
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:08:01 PM »
Hi,

I'm building my first robot but had a couple questions. The first question is just to make sure I'm right but I can modify a 90 degree servo to go 360 right? My assumption is yes but I wanted to make sure cause I think most are 180.
Some servos only goes 90° within the 1ms to 2 ms range, but will still do 180° if the range is widened.
No matter where the mechanical stops are, when removed -  and when the potentiometer is disconnected and adjusted (or replaced with two equal resistors), they all go 360° (or rather any number of 360° you like).

The other question is if I buy a Sharp IR range finder then the servo for that has to stay unmodified at 180 (I think) so if I bought a 90 could I make that 180? I plan to use the guide on here to modify the servos but I want to make sure I'm getting the right servos. I do apologize for the dumb questions but please help me out.
As mentioned, it probably is, with the right timing range.
But if you're uncertain, post a link to it and we may be able to get you the exact travel.
Or why not go for one that is spec'd as 180°?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline dmny500Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
Thanks, I think I will take your advice and just get some spec'd as 180. I could get the 90's from a friend of mine but he wants practically retail anyways (he's cheap). I just figured I wouldn't have to wait for shipping but it's just easier to order the right ones.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »
Hi,

I could get the 90's from a friend of mine but he wants practically retail anyways (he's cheap).
Cheap?  More like really expensive I'd say ;)

I just figured I wouldn't have to wait for shipping but it's just easier to order the right ones.
You could make a simple servo tester with a 555 and test the ones he have (I assume he wouldn't mind that).

Or post make and model of his servos here.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here