Author Topic: 5 Volt tolerant output  (Read 1349 times)

Offline tristantechTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
    • TristanTech
5 Volt tolerant output
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
Hi,

I have a 5 volt lcd with 8 bi-directional data lines and a 3.3 volt processor. The the LCD will take a 3.3 volt input and a logic high, but the 5 volt output from the lcd is too much for the mcu.

What I have decided to do is use a 74**245 octal bus transceiver running at 3.3 volt. The 74245 can take a 5 volt input, but the datasheet says it has a 5 volt tolerant output. Does this mean, regardless of Vcc, The voltage on the input pin will be on the output pin?
Hey! Visit my website @ http://www.tristantech.net

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: 5 Volt tolerant output
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:17:37 AM »
Hi,

I have a 5 volt lcd with 8 bi-directional data lines and a 3.3 volt processor. The the LCD will take a 3.3 volt input and a logic high, but the 5 volt output from the lcd is too much for the mcu.

What I have decided to do is use a 74**245 octal bus transceiver running at 3.3 volt. The 74245 can take a 5 volt input, but the datasheet says it has a 5 volt tolerant output. Does this mean, regardless of Vcc, The voltage on the input pin will be on the output pin?
Just use a SN74LVC4245A and be done with it. It's build for the purpose (Datasheet on the linked page and you may even sample it from another link on the page).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list