Author Topic: About wire  (Read 1115 times)

Offline piperosTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
About wire
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
It will sound stupid and sry for that but when they say "wire" to connect the circuit of course they mean copper wire right ? could u tell me also whats the prefferable diameter for mircoelectronic circuits ?

SP

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
Re: About wire
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
Generally yes, although there are lots of types of wire and if you go to any electronics hobby store you'll find that any of the thinner wires will do.  If you're trying to plug it into a solderless breadboard (those boards with holes in them that you just push the components into, rather than have to solder them) then it's usually better to use single stranded wire of around 18AWG, rather than braided wire.  If you're soldering, using a thinner wire (like 24-22AWG) makes it easier to bend, and braided wire tends to be easier to bend still. 

In a lot of my projects I use the wire from ribbon cables if I'm soldering.  It's super thin and flexible.

The question about the wire for microelectronic circuits depends on the amount of current in the system.  But I've interfaced microcontrollers, and even motor controllers of up to 0.5A, using ribbon cable without any ill effects.

MIKE
Current project: tactile sensing systems for multifingered robot hands

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »
Mr Mike so your suggesting to cut the ribbon cable into seperate wires and connect-solder everything you need in the circuit with that wire, are you 100% certain its gonna work with servos and microcontroller connected to the circuit.

thx in advance

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
Well, you need to make sure your servos don't pull too much current for your wire.  I am currently running about 0.25A at 7V through two strands of ribbon cable and it works fine, no worries at all.  If you're pulling more than that, then be careful :-)  I suggest you look online for the maximum current of the wire you'll be using, and compare it to the maximum current through your circuit.

MIKE

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »
Hi,

Another good source of wire is Ethernet cable - 8 color coded twisted pair wires in each.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »
is the single wire (obtained from the ethernet cable) usable for example lets say the 50$ robot ?

thx in advance

SP

Offline mstacho

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »
Yup, it should be OK. 

Get Your Ad Here

data_list