Author Topic: project  (Read 1444 times)

Offline The ToroTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
project
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:36:10 PM »
project ...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:26:11 AM by The Toro »

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
Re: project
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »
Translation:
Somebody wants Toro to teach him the necessary skill for a project regarding robots. It is the other person's idea and he will also choose what kind of robot it will be. Toro will recieve 500 dollars for doing this and it will take about 1 year to complete. This is not a lot of money for one year's work. Toro lives 15 minutes from the other person. Toro is hesitant as he believes the other person will expect his project be done for him or the other person will be annoying. Toro has accepted to teach him given that he does all the work. Toro would like a schedule to be made outlining what should be finished by what date. He would like suggestions regarding creating such a schedule.

Obviously the details of the actual schedule are up to you, but the plan should go something like this:

Research: Student should understand basics of mechanics, electronics, and programming.
Brainstorm: Student should decide what they want the robot to do and have a general idea of how the robot will do that.
Design: Student will create detailed plans for the robot. The more detailed the better, but do not spend too much time designing insignificant details.
Build: Purchase all parts and begin building the robot. It is generally a good idea to do so in this order:
-Chassis: Student should build chassis and mount motors, wheels, etc.
-Electronics: Student should be able to solder the electrical system, which they designed earlier.
-Programming: Student will write code and program the microcontroller.
Debugging: This will always take the longest and will require significant help from you. Test the robot and fix any unplanned events that arise. Programming will need a lot of editing, the electronics will need editing, and the chassis should only need tweaking.
Touch-Up:Once the robot is in good working condition, the student should tweak any remaining issues and make the robot look nicer. (Clean up wires, sand edges, etc)
Finish: The robot is now complete! The only thing left is to present/demo it (or whatever the project requires)

Also note that both your concerns about the student can be solved with one simple strategy: Let the student make mistakes. If you help him get everything right the first time, he will not learn how to formulate his own ideas. Let him make mistakes, then when he realizes why things went wrong you teach him the better or correct way. After all, the second half of learning through "trial and error" is error.

edit: Also please give your threads more descriptive names in the future. "project" does not tell anything about your situation. "what is a good schedule for building a robot?" would be a much better title.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:00:13 AM by z.s.tar.gz »
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »
Hi,

Someone wants that I will be his guide teacher for his final project
He decide what robot he want to build
For the guide teaching I will receive five hundreds dollar for the entire project that take 1 year
  This is a very little money
Being a guide teacher shouldn't be about the money, but about the opportunity to be part of teaching a new "generation" and perhaps building a new friendship or a "network opportunity", although your situation may render it a fair statement - but if you don't do it, do you have something else that's better paid (and just as rewarding in non monetary ways)?
If you don't think you'll enjoy it, don't do it at all.
If it's anything like in Denmark, about a couple of hours once a week is expected.

I leave 15 minutes drive from him
Usually, it's up to the student to get to the guide, unless you come to another arrangement, like meeting at the school where he will probably be doing most of the work anyway (I can only speak for how it works in DK)

I am afraid that he wants that I will do his entire project alone or that he will be nuisance
Do you have a reason to?
If that's your general bias toward it, perhaps you're not the right person to do it - for you it's now and then throughout a year, for him it could have impact on the rest of his life.
I'd say that if you take it on, you should teach him as if he was your son, with love and respect and nurture whatever skills he may have lying dormant - that's how any teacher ought to do (well and then there's Real Life ;))

I accept to teach him all what he need for his project but all other work he will need to do
You shouldn't do his work of course!
But it may be better letting him "teach" you and you asking the right questions to get him to find the solutions (if you see what I mean).

Now I need to write a contract that will be like an expectation coordinate
 What do you suggests for me to write in this document
"You promise to be good and I promise not to hit you (too much)"  ;)

Honestly, I think you should meet him as a grown up without contracts (which is a prejudice that he'll not behave responsible according to his age), just talk to him right away of both your roles in this and that you don't tolerate slacking - set up realistic timescales for intermediate parts of it and do a thorough planning of the year on paper (a copy for you and a copy for him), but refrain from binding contracts and all that - he don't wanna feel imprisoned.
If you can afford it, buy him a pop now and then when you think he's done good for a while and remember to notice whenever he's doing something clever or in other ways excel (over himself) - Honey catches more flies than vinegar (and contracts).

That's just my take on it. I've been asked to be a guide at my old Alma Mater now and then, but have had to refrain due to being to hung up, but some day I will - The going rate in DK is about the same and comparing it to the overall prices and wages, it's very little here - I guess it will barely cover the transportation and in the end it would probably cost me, especially with a gifted student, as they usually don't have enough to see a large project through.
What we do, we do for love or for money and on rare occasions the two meet, but usually, it's either/or - so, if the pay's bad and you think you're gonna hate it... You have to ask yourself if you would rather do something else.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »
There are literally hundreds of ways to interpret your engrish. I took "contract that will be like an expectation coordinate" as a schedule, soeren took it as an actual contract, and others can draw their own conclusions. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that english isn't your native language. By all means, please ask in whatever language you're best at as SoR has quite an international community.

At the moment, your question is very hard to answer because the actual question can't be determined. If taken literally the answer is "do your work. don't be stupid." If put up for interpetation, everybody (especially me  :P) will chime in trying to decipher the secret code.

Please repost.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »
[...] If put up for interpetation, everybody (especially me  :P) will chime in trying to decipher the secret code.
What?? You didn't get you SoR Axon 9 Secret Decoder RingTM yet?   :P
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »
No, Axon products are too expensive for me...
I do have an anti-engrish megafilter from sparkfun though.

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
No, Axon products are too expensive for me...
I do have an anti-engrish megafilter from sparkfun though.

Yeah, but the Axon version would have had a re-engrishification-ator so they could understand you too! :)
"Never regret thy fall,
O Icarus of the fearless flight
For the greatest tragedy of them all
Is never to feel the burning light."

— Oscar Wilde

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »
I have yahoo translate for that.

Get Your Ad Here