Author Topic: basic IR detecting circuit  (Read 2215 times)

Offline BANETopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
basic IR detecting circuit
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »
I am a beginner at robotic and I'm look for some books or something on who to make stuff without a microcontroller.  Just some that i can make a IR sensor light up a LED with it sees something.  I have a Parallax microcontroller and can make it do it, but i want to see if its possible to make it from basic electronic componets from Radio Shack or DigiKey.

if you have any suggestions or schematics for such a thing i would be most grateful

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: basic IR detecting circuit
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »
scroll down to "555 Based IR Proximity Detector" on this page:
http://users.frii.com/dlc/robotics/projects/botproj.htm

dunk.

paulstreats

Re: basic IR detecting circuit
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »
what you want is very easy to do, you simply need 1 transistor, 1 led, and 1 ir detector led style.
connect your power to the collector of the transistor, your led to the emmiter of the transistor and ground to the other free led leg. then depending on the transistor type, place the ir detector accoss either the base/collector or the base/emitter. (dont forget to use a resistor for the led)

I used this years ago for working out how tv remotes actually send data (the led blinks at different speeds depending on the type of remote/ button pressed). Also if you get the right kind of ir detector, you can also use this circuit for detecting leaks from microwave ovens. (nearly all microwaves i tested had a small leak somewhere around the door)

data_list