Author Topic: How to reuse parts  (Read 3611 times)

Offline maine2Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How to reuse parts
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »
I'm new to the forum, so first let me say hello all :).  Now, I was reading that you can use parts from old electronics, my question is how would you reuse the parts on the motherboard of a computer.  I mean if the piece is sodered into the board then how is it reusable.  Also if the motherboard it's self burned out then would the pieces still be usable or would they have burned out as well.  Thank you all in advance.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
Re: How to reuse parts
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:29:18 PM »
Atleast some of the the parts should work unless its completely fried.. i would neeed to know more details to tell you exactly. you have to desolder them which basically means just cutting them off theres really no ngood way to do it if I was doing it I thinki I would save a head ache by simply got to www.maximumrobotics.com and buy the electronic value packs for a begginger about $100 Should last you a whuile for components(if you are begginging)
um but also Some good thisngs to get out of a computer is the wire and the ram you can sell etc.
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »
If you want to remove surface-mount components,of which there are many on a PC motherboard, you will need a hot air rework station, like this one...

http://www.sra-solder.com/aoyue_852a.htm  That's the one I have.

Hot air rework stations allow you to melt the solder of all the connections of a chip at the same time, allowing removal from the board.

Offline want2learn

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:53:41 PM »
If you don't have a hot air rework station there really isn't much you can get from a motherboard apart from caps and inductors. Even some of the caps will be useless as their leads will have been cut to short for reuse in like 90% of projects.
Like Jamjort says, sell any useful components from the pc to raise cash.

You can turn the cd drive into a cd player with a kit and you can turn the psu into quite a good lab power supply, just google both of these if you're interested.
The question that drives me hazy:

Am I, or the others crazy?

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:12:22 PM »
Well, thank you all.  I was wondering about that.  I am a newbie with absolutely no real useful knowledge of electronics.  I have always found robotic a facinating field but I never really knew where to start.  The only time I have had to deal with electronics is when something broke on my computer and it was cheaper to fix it my self rather than pay the Geek Squad at Best buy.  I decided to give the $50 robot a try because my eight year old wants to build a robot and who am I to stop her (plus it is something I alway wanted to try).  I have already ordered everything but the LEDs won't be shipping out for while because they are back ordered and I have no idea where to look for those.  So, when I read that parts could be used for old electronics I thought maybe I could swipe an LED from one of my old computers (I have one computer several printers and a couple of laptops, I never throw those out...to paranoid), but since I can't...any stores I could buy LED's from that are Local in the US?
Thanks in advance.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
radioshack? :P most electronics stores will sell some form of led. or even if you go down to a 99c store and get a little led keychain and smack it open. most little kids toys with some for of light are using leds. sorry i dont know too much im from australia :P
Howdy

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 02:53:52 PM »
sorry i dont know too much im from australia :P

I've heard that about Australians.   ;)

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:10:17 PM »
achhh! *offended*!
Howdy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »
figures it would be some where I have been a million times.  Thanks all.

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 05:09:05 PM »

data_list