go away spammer

Author Topic: Robotic Telescope.  (Read 2169 times)

Offline robjh123Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
Robotic Telescope.
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »
Hello,

New here hello everyone! I would like to add a motor to my filter wheel so that it can be controlled via my laptop. I'm trying to make my Telescope/Astro photography set up completely remote control so I can operate it from inside, in the warm! Pretty much all there aside from being able to the change filters. In Astronomy I feel it's best to try and fully understand things and make your own solutions rather that just always buy stuff, electronic filter wheels are £300+ this one was £25.

Here's my filter wheel on my scope.

After some research I'm under the impression a stepper motor will be be best as I'd like to be able to set 1 of 3 positions not just on or off.

This kind of thing... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-Stepper-Motor-with-ULN2003-Driver-Motor-Driver-Controller-Board-UK-Seller-New-/191457771129?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2c93c5be79

I'm not sure what I'd need to look into usb to serial then onto one of these boards... not sure any help or advice on how to control via usb or which motor/pulley/cog design to use and ideas on how to attach would be much appreciated thanks!

Offline robjh123Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
Re: Robotic Telescope.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
Here's a picture of the Orion nebula I took with it last week for anyone that's interested...

Offline jamesd168

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:12:36 PM »
are you simply trying to control the filter with stepper motor via a PC? I would think that you can do that with something like Arduino Uno with a stepper motor connected.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:58:17 PM by jamesd168 »

Offline mklrobo

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • From Dream to Design at the speed of Imagination!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:45:43 AM »
 8) Cool picture!   8)
That is a good picture of history, literally. It is amazing to realize that
that picture is what happened approx 2000 years ago, to the nebulas, since it took the
light from the nebula to reach us. When we look up, into the night sky, we are looking
into the past. Great Job!   ;D ;D

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 06:14:01 PM »
Perhaps a friction drive, basically a rubber wheel that would ride on the edge of the filter disc. it could be mounted somewhere near where you have indicated but you may need a mounting bracket to get it in the right place

Get Your Ad Here

data_list