go away spammer

Author Topic: usb to pic bootloader  (Read 5593 times)

paulstreats

usb to pic bootloader
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »
Okay, so after having to drag an old desktop pc out everytime i want to program a pic, and then take the pic out of the circuit into a picstart plus, Im considering just installing bootloaders onto the pic to make the job easier.

What im actually thinking is wether its possible when the bootloader, to communicate with the pic with a usb cable rather than having to drag my old desktop out(its old and it works, and its win98 and i love it but its a lot of hassle).

Has anybody used this way before,and does it work?

The chances are that if you can use hyperterminal through a usb port than it will but i unfortunatley remain ignorant to modern serial communications(because of laziness, and preference to other communication methods). If anybody knows can you please post.

edit....

I presume that there are tx/rx leads to a serial cable, and a requirement of a device address system (to allow more than one device to operate on the same bus)?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 06:33:53 PM by paulstreats »

Offline snow

• Helpful? 0
Re: usb to pic bootloader
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:58:53 AM »
You would need to have software USB library for PIC. And of course PIC must be able to write to flash. Most of them do.

Software USB exists for Atmel AVRs and there is also USB bootloader using HID: http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/bootloadhid.html.

... waiting for someone to write software USB for PIC. Would be nice to have USB on dsPIC...

Get Your Ad Here