Author Topic: Backwards Battery  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Crunchy TheoryTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • "Well great is ok, but amazing would be great."
Backwards Battery
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:38:11 PM »
Is there a long-term consequence of reversing the polarity of a battery pack on a robot?

Say, I have built the $50 robot and hooked up the battery backwards. It was left there for a few seconds, saw some magic smoke, and of course some things were fried. That makes sense.

I've got the robot running again by replacing the Atmega, but the servos are a little twitchy and the sensors' measured values are way off. Should I just toss all the sensors and servos? Are they done for?

I'm still using the same battery from the accident. Is the battery severely damaged and should it be thrown out? It's hard to tell since it still outputs an apparently normal voltage of ~6V. I just don't want this battery messing up my other robots, even hooked up correctly, if it really is damaged.

The more general question is: after an event like this, is it possible that problems can continue to propagate through components and would it be best to just toss everything and start fresh?

Odd questions, I know, but I thought I'd ask since I can't find any information on what to do if this were to happen - only that it can happen. Thanks.
The only way to top an upright screen, keyboard, and mouse is to eliminate the need for humans to touch a PC at all. Oh, hello there Mr. Robot... what would I like you to do, you ask?

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Re: Backwards Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
Don't really know about the servos but most regulators consist of a complex system of zeners... Not always true though....
It should have protected the circuit by shorting itself....

Use a multimeter to get the sensor data, if they are correct on not...

To tell you the truth... I don't know really... but that takes some digging from your side...

No burn components usually don't kill the rest of the circuit if there are current limiters....
So if interested... don't just hoke up the sensors and the servos... place a 220 resistor in between...
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Crunchy TheoryTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
  • "Well great is ok, but amazing would be great."
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Good to know that the damage has been done and won't continue.

How about the battery though? What happens to the battery if it is hooked up backwards? How can I tell if it's been damaged? Does it matter as long as the voltage appears to be normal?
The only way to top an upright screen, keyboard, and mouse is to eliminate the need for humans to touch a PC at all. Oh, hello there Mr. Robot... what would I like you to do, you ask?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Good to know that the damage has been done and won't continue.
I wouldn't write off the possibility of further damages this easy.
Consider the case (similar to some ESD damages), where some components are weakened but not totally killed off, say by having a semiconductor trace partially blown. Next time it's asked to perform to specs, it may blow or be weakened further.
Depending on where the damage is, future issues could be a possible scenario.
Any pro would toss the complete PCB, sensors and chips and start over with new bits and pieces, as that is the only way to be sure.

That said, when you're on a hobby budget and you're not selling the finished board, the range of consequences will be fairly limited, should something break down, so I'd advice you to keep going, but to be sure, stock up what's needed for a new board JIC.

How about the battery though? What happens to the battery if it is hooked up backwards? How can I tell if it's been damaged? Does it matter as long as the voltage appears to be normal?
The worst possible damage that can happen to a battery from reverse connecting it (besides high current drain and possible fire, especially if using unprotected lithium based cells), is reverse poling (of one or more cells). This will weaken the cell(s) in question, even if it can be somewhat restored.
If you measured the nominal voltage right after removing the battery, this have not happened (would take more than a few seconds anyway).

Here's a way to protect against polarity reversals (you need a fuse anyway, so it'll just cost you a single diode)...

If you reverse the battery, the fuse blows to indicate that you F'd up ;D
(1A fuse shown, but use whatever suits the circuit that you need to protect).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

data_list