Author Topic: Axon vs Arduino vs RoBoard  (Read 3483 times)

Offline kl22Topic starter

• Helpful? 2
Axon vs Arduino vs RoBoard
« on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:40 PM »
Which one is better (faster with sensor reading/performance) and what is your take on each?

(another question, for those that have a RoBoard can you use any generic analog sensor with it?)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Axon vs Arduino vs RoBoard
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 11:17:22 PM »
read first:
http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_faq.shtml#best_microcontroller

Search the forum for Arduino and Axon, plenty people have asked for a comparison in the past.

As for RoBoard, it doesn't have much of free source code or supporting community (at least not yet). If you are a beginner, expect to struggle. :P
(fyi, I haven't used the RoBoard before, only read through docs and links)

(disclaimer: I'm obviously biased)

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:07:33 PM »
I wonder why you might be a little biased :D lol

As of right now I'm thinking of going Axon as well. Seems to be the best choice for me at the current moment because going wireless is pretty straight forward and also cause of this forum :D.

Offline Hawaii00000

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
I wouldn't go with the arduino if I had a choice. Not only is it a little harder for the beginner (not exactly plug and play), but its also a bit time consuming to get all you servo etc plugged in (again not plug and play). If you do choose an arduino board make sure you choose something like the roboduino so you don't have to mess round with extra wires.

Also unless you trying to use the use th microcontroller for speech processing or something crazy like that you should be fine with the processing speed. I think an sbc is a bit overkill.
"God chose to make the world according to very beautiful mathematics."
-Paul Dirac
Its Hawaii Five-O. Get it?

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »
Hey!
Thanks for the great info!

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
But another thing to note is that it is easy to plug in servos, but harder to do everything else. So now I have an Axon and roboduino for servos, and normal seeeduinos for other non-servo stuff. It is so much easier to prototype with the female headers so that you can just stick wires in instead of having to figure out connectors to fit on the pin headers.

Offline Steve_E_C

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
So what was the consensus? Seems a bit vague

• Helpful? 2
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »
This is what i've decided so far:

Probably going to go with an Axon for now. So i can learn more about everything. Since the Axon seems like it has everything I need built right into it already. I'm still considering a RoBoard because I need the processing power for a project that I ultimately want to do (pool playing robot). For which I need the speed for image processing.

The only problem I see right now. Is that RoBoard states that it only states that it supposes certain sensors. I'm not quite sure if I can use sensors not listed on its site with the board.

But as for Axon, I'm going to be using it to build my first robot (hyper fast line follower)... my goal build the fastest line follower. I'm going to see if I can build it with an Axon :D

Any thoughts?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 08:16:44 PM »
I'm still considering a RoBoard because I need the processing power for a project that I ultimately want to do (pool playing robot). For which I need the speed for image processing.
You can hook up a laptop to the Axon for vision processing. RoboRealm works with the Axon, for example.

One of these days I'll make a demo video of it . . .