Author Topic: Axon and the servo drive  (Read 1333 times)

Offline MoegZebraTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Axon and the servo drive
« on: October 05, 2011, 03:06:26 AM »
I have a couple of digital servo drives and industrial servos with which I would like to build a hobby robot (wannabe IronMan workshop robot).
Will it be possible to control the servo drives from an Axon controller through a CANopen network?

The servo drives are from AMC (http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/dpcante-015b200.pdf)

http://www.a-m-c.com/images/productpics/dpcante-015b200.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated! ???

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Axon and the servo drive
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »
Read the data sheet you posted the link to.

On the first page is:
This DP Series drive features a CANopen interface for networking and a RS-232 interface for drive configuration and setup.
Google those terms to learn what they are. These can not be directly connected to a micro-controller IC (processor on the Axon). These need a level translation circuit or IC.

The Block Diagram also show the control signals. Notice the +5V pull-ups on the first signals on the top left. This is a hint that these are 5V TTL compatible signals. These can be driven from a 5V micro-controller.

The DS indicates that the real control is over the CANopen (google this) interface (google this) but there is no information about what the command structure is. My guess is that the is another document on the command interface for that controller. It may be called 'Programming Reference Manual' or something like that name.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:56:23 AM »
Although there are microcontrollers out there that offer a CAN interface, the Axon series does not have this (CAN is a very rare feature to have).

That said, when companies claim RS-232, what they usually mean is serial TTL (a very different thing). The Axon series offers serial TTL through the UART, so you just got to read through the datasheets to learn commands and figure out compatibility.

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:56:49 AM »
I've seen CAN interface ICs from a few manufacturers (Maxim has one or more). I suspect most of them have some kind of serial interface for the MCU, but I've no idea what the protocol is like between the MCU and CAN IC. Googling "controller area network ic" shows quite a few hits though.

Joe

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:50 AM »
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline knossos

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 14
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »
Also you might want to check out this:

OBD-II to UART

or

CAN-BUS Shield
"Never regret thy fall,