go away spammer

Author Topic: batterys  (Read 2831 times)

Offline icoms8Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
batterys
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:01:35 PM »
for the $50 dollar robot i bought the 1700amh 6v nimh battery pack and when i was sodering the wires one they touch and then spark so i know they worked but then when i crossed them again nothing happened does that mean they dont work?

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
Re: batterys
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:40:37 PM »
They shouldn't die that easy, although shorting batteries is always a bad idea.
Put a DMM or voltage meter on their terminals and see if they are >0. Try charging them and see if the charger recognises them.

You can also try adding a led with a resistor in series, and see if it lights up. You'll need more than one for this to work, though.
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »
i am also haveing problems with sodering when i soder the sensor or or batterys to micro contorller the soder does not hold.also when i put the battery to the 3 pin on the micro controler the LED does not come on.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »
Yea, I definitely made soldering look easy. I recommend practicing a bit on an unused part of the board until you get the hand of it. Also, google around for soldering tutorials, there are many.

Also, the LED won't come on until you program the microcontroller.

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:04:37 PM »
i am also haveing problems with sodering when i soder the sensor or or batterys to micro contorller the soder does not hold.also when i put the battery to the 3 pin on the micro controler the LED does not come on.

Make sure your iron is clean.  Tin it with fresh solder just before soldering the joint.  Place the iron on the joint.  Feed a little solder into the joint right where the iron is touching.  The solder should flow evenly into the joint.  Remove the iron and clean the tip with the wet sponge.  Repeat for the next joint.  Don't get discouraged.  It's just one of those things that takes some practice before you can do it well.  Hopefully you're not using lead-free solder.  That stuff takes a real pro to solder correctly.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »
yes it is lead free but what is i use rosin with it will that work.and if i did short out the batterys how can i tell and fix it. will i have to buy a new one.and also where do i get the connecters like on the servo?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »
where do i get the connecters like on the servo
;D
http://www.societyofrobots.com/electronics_wire_connector.shtml

Offline ArcMan

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • Mmmm... Plasma
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 03:49:37 PM »
yes it is lead free but what is i use rosin with it will that work.and if i did short out the batterys how can i tell and fix it. will i have to buy a new one.

Hear me now and believe me later.  Buy standard rosin-core leaded solder.

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »
Hear me now and believe me later.  Buy standard rosin-core leaded solder.

What he said.  --------^

He speaks the truth.  In my experience, lead-free solder requires a hotter iron and near flawless technique.  Both of which I have yet to be able to accommodate.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list