Author Topic: Solar plans/questions  (Read 1517 times)

Offline kpmcgurkTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Love?
    • Probotic world (in progress)
Solar plans/questions
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:04:46 AM »
So here is the deal...

I want to make a solar battery charger that can power an array of LED's. That in essence isn't that hard to do, but if possible I would want to be able to charge my laptop or cell phone with it also. I have read all of the solar related posts on this forum along with doing some other research...

So What I am thinking is using these solar "panels" http://www.solarbotics.com/products/scc3766/  connecting 2 in series, And then 2 pairs of those in parallel. providing 13ish Volts and 60mA. charging a 12V battery.

Will I need to worry about overcharging the batteries at all, or will I want to put a charge controller IC in the circuit?

Should I use batteries or just large capacitors?

NOTE: I will be using this for camping so I wont have any access to any other power... this is really my only option besides wind... but I am not messing with that ;)   
some people are just Born smart, but some people have to work for it, and those are the people who succeed.

http://www.proboticworld.com

Offline silo_xtreme

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I really love robots, they keep me awake at night.
Re: Solar plans/questions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
What kind of batteries will you be using?

If you're going with LI-ION then I would use over charge protection, also, LI-ION can only be charged at a certain rate.

Just some things to think about.

Mike

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Love?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »
I will be NiMh, I dont want to risk using Li-Ion.... I dont want to blow up my tent ;)
some people are just Born smart, but some people have to work for it, and those are the people who succeed.

Offline silo_xtreme

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I really love robots, they keep me awake at night.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »
for Ni-MH you might want the check the temperature as well.

all of our Ni-MH chargers have a temperature sensor and will stop charging if the cells get too hot.

I don't think a Solar charger is going to push too much current at a time.  but I think it would be helpful to see some specs of your batteries.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »
I believe youll be fine with a battery check out www.futurlec.com i think they have solar panel power thingy mi gigyy lol...
laptop and camping... kind of takes the fun out of it hey?
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
I will be NiMh, I dont want to risk using Li-Ion.... I dont want to blow up my tent ;)
well, fall asleep holding the battery in your hand and if you feel it getting hot...run!
what are the specs on your battery, we cant say whether it will work or not without knowing the battery specs ;)
Howdy

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 3
  • Robot Love?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
I have a couple options

1- 3200 mah 6v battery
1-4200 mah 8.4v
1-2400 mah 8.4v
Or make my own using AA cells