go away spammer

Author Topic: robotics club.....I cant get in...  (Read 7876 times)

Offline NOOBinDistressTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
robotics club.....I cant get in...
« on: July 28, 2007, 08:22:26 PM »
I am not sure if i am aloud into a college sponsered robotics club (i am not yet in college) Admin said it would be a good idea to join a robotics club... i just dont think im old enough.... IF anyone has any input b4 i ask them it would b very helpful. thanks.

Offline S. Karim

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: robotics club.....I cant get in...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 09:05:43 PM »
well if ur going to go up to them as a high schooler, at least go up to the leader and show some interest. show your passion for what they're doing, and bring in some photos or robots you've worked on to show you're not just a newbie with nothing to offer. tell em about current projects you're working on, what skills you have and what you'd like to get out of it...its hard to reject someone who comes to the dining table with some hearty steak...

Offline Hal9000

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »
Don't give up just yet man! Yeah, even if they don't allow you in......ask if you can go and watch.........and then like 2 weeks down the line they will probably say 'yeah, you obviously are determined to get in, so now you're a member'

This is the way to go man. they'll probs let you in anyway!
"The truth is, you can't hide from the truth, cos the truth is all there is" - Handsome Boy Modeling School

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 02:50:24 PM »
Noob - there are all kinds of Robot Clubs... There are even some on the Internet... Like TRCY (The Robot Club of Yahoo!).  I would look for a community type club, like the Portland Area Robotics Society... See if you can find one aroud you on this list... http://dmoz.org/Computers/Robotics/Organizations/ or this list...http://www.robotics.com/clubs.html

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:45:15 AM »
Because university robotics clubs are typically funded through the university, they only allow students from that university in. Its entirely for funding and liability issues.

But if you just show up and ask for advice occasionally, I dont think they will turn you away - just dont expect to have access to anything that costs money . . .

And remember that students are typically very busy with classes and their own projects . . .

I recommend following Steve's advice.

(based on my experience with the CMU Robotics Club)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 08:43:42 PM »
Yah..... thanks for all of the answers. Steve none of the  clubs on ur list were near me. I live in Jersey and cant find a club near me.... thanks for the help though!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »
i found a club in south jersey... But they have not contacted me yet... :'(

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »
NOOB... where abouts in NJ are you?  I'm in the Philly suburbs.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 01:25:57 PM »
Have you tried the high schools? Around you? My old high school had a robotics club
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »
IM in south jersey and i cnt find anything around me steve!!!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 01:54:43 PM »
My high school does not have a robotics club for sure... but ill check anyway...We have money for flat screen tvs in the office but not enough for anything that people would use like toilet paper and robotics clubs! ;D

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 02:06:20 PM »
Lol check around at other school toos. Perhaps your just constricting your search too much
Infantry

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
yah thats probobly true... i just dont think im gona be able to get a ride anywhere to for away.

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 04:59:17 PM »
take the alternator and battery out of your parents' car and hook them up to your bike so that the battery powers the alternator. Your parents will never even know... :D
Infantry

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 07:33:37 PM »
yah I bet that my parents would never notice. ;D

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:51:45 PM »
Hi,

My high school does not have a robotics club for sure... but ill check anyway...We have money for flat screen tvs in the office but not enough for anything that people would use like toilet paper and robotics clubs! ;D
What an opportunity!
YOU could start up a club then :D
Talk to whoever is in charge of such things on your school and express your desire to make such a club and perhaps make some posters to get others interested in it.

If you're truly devoted and can get other peoples attention, anything is possible!
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 04:50:06 AM »
IM in south jersey and i cnt find anything around me steve!!!

South Jersey Robotics Group
http://www.sjrobotics.org

New Jersey FIRST Robotics Teams
http://www.nycnjfirst.org/nj_teams.html

(I think you already found the first one, but Ill post it anyways)

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 05:33:25 PM »
Sj robotics never sent anything to me. I already tried them... but im gona check the other one out. I have not seen it yet. thanks for your help..

Offline jellis359

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 04:57:09 PM »
Hey,

i know this topic is old, but in hopes you'll find it again......
 yo im in s. jersey too and have also been looking for a club around here. If you could let me know how your search went or contact me and maybe we could try to start our own. because it is quite an opportunity.

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 08:37:22 PM »
hey, does anyone know if there are any robot clubs in phily?
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 09:21:10 PM »
What an opportunity!
YOU could start up a club then :D
Talk to whoever is in charge of such things on your school and express your desire to make such a club and perhaps make some posters to get others interested in it.

If you're truly devoted and can get other peoples attention, anything is possible!

Nor does my highschool, and its a darn shame...  :'(  perhaps I could start a robotics club at my school :)...that is, if I learn more about the field of robotics...or I could found the club and get some teachers involved who have some experience who could help.  Maybe we could all just share our knowledge; talk about what we know and learn from others what we don't know.  hmm :-\...I can see this happening :)....but then there is also the issue about time and unfortunately money :P.  I suppose if we all combine costs the money issue could be resolved, we might even get some funding for the club from my school :D...are school also has a bunch of Lego mindstorm NXT robots...but there being used for a computer engineering class :(...everyone can start with the $50 robot potentially...hmm, would i run into 'hazard' issues with (teachers, school board, parents etc.) for the use of soldering irons and possibly none RoHS compliant components??...maybe those who dint trust themselves or have terrible soldering skills could purchase Airman00's roboduino?? (sorry Admin, your axon would probably be overkill)

Are my ideas 'plausible' (yea, i watch mythbusters ;D)??? ...would someone like myself (who only recently started with robotics) have a chance to start a robotics club at my school?  any other ideas on how to prepare and establish a robotics club, what to start with, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

oh and btw...unlike your school, NOOBinDistress, over the past two years my school has had nearly four different types of soap dispensers and a couple different toilet paper dispensers...talk aabout a waste of money...yet all our computers are out of date with out of date software and the slowest internet connection you can imagine...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:31:05 PM by Metal Slug 2 »

Offline jellis359

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2009, 12:39:23 PM »

[/quote]
Nor does my highschool, and its a darn shame...  :'(  perhaps I could start a robotics club at my school :)...that is, if I learn more about the field of robotics...or I could found the club and get some teachers involved who have some experience who could help.  Maybe we could all just share our knowledge; talk about what we know and learn from others what we don't know.  hmm :-\...I can see this happening :)....but then there is also the issue about time and unfortunately money :P.  I suppose if we all combine costs the money issue could be resolved, we might even get some funding for the club from my school :D...are school also has a bunch of Lego mindstorm NXT robots...but there being used for a computer engineering class :(...everyone can start with the $50 robot potentially...hmm, would i run into 'hazard' issues with (teachers, school board, parents etc.) for the use of soldering irons and possibly none RoHS compliant components??...maybe those who dint trust themselves or have terrible soldering skills could purchase Airman00's roboduino?? (sorry Admin, your axon would probably be overkill)

Are my ideas 'plausible' (yea, i watch mythbusters ;D)??? ...would someone like myself (who only recently started with robotics) have a chance to start a robotics club at my school?  any other ideas on how to prepare and establish a robotics club, what to start with, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

hey are you in southe jersey if so i'd like to help
for some cheap equipment i'd search instructables to learn how to build it myself (like a CNC machine for instance)_i have plans to make one already

Offline Joesavage1

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
    • Dev-HQ - Learn C++, Visual Basic, HTML and More!
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2009, 12:45:46 PM »
Im in Cambridgeshire, if u live there i could help u... cause i wanna robotics club too.

Offline Metal Slug 2

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
No, sorry i live in Ontario, Canada.

Offline sean22

• Helpful? 0
    • MMRambotics
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
Does anyone know of a robotics club in Burlington Ontario Canada
First Robotics - 2009
Canada Skills Robotics - 2009

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »
Actually you MAY be able to get on a college team IF you have already built and done outstanding work... ex. I've been in a program with first robotics(VEX) and a professor from a university was helping out and invited me to come and work with him this summer on a robot there building with like a $30,000 budget I automatically said yes, but I guess this was more of who I knew... So i mean give it a try.. also if you've got skill they may pick you because you let somebody into your program in high scholl they automatically figure youll come to college there..
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Get Your Ad Here

data_list