Author Topic: $50 robot programming failure  (Read 3978 times)

Offline sonictjTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
$50 robot programming failure
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:47:10 PM »
I bought the avrisp mkII programmer and I have the atmega168 mcu.  When I try to program the mcu I always get (Entering programming mode Failed!).

helpful info

1) The programmer status led is green
2) I have been able to program the board before, but all of a sudden it doesn't work.  ( I have checked voltages and soldering )
3) I tried all possible clock values for programing.

I don't have any idea what could be wrong other than a fried mcu.

** my only alteration to my board from the design, is that I shorted solder across the led.  I t wasn't working in either direction, so rather than trying to pull it out of the board I just shorted across it.  I was afraid the led would not allow current to continue to flow through it (I'm a ME not an EE lol i don't know these things).

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
Re: $50 robot programming failure
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
At this point I've given up on the $50 robot . I have ordered an arduino board to toy with instead.

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 06:39:52 PM »
Shorting out the LED should make no difference. So if it 'did work' but 'now doesnt' then you must have a loose joint/connection somewhere. Presumably: when you managed to program it earlier then all was okay - but now the programmer is giving errors? So the fault probably lies in the connections from the ISP header and the chip. Since the wiring from the header to the chip will require some sort of jumper wire then maybe they got nudged and aren't good joints?

Sorry to hear that you've 'given up' - believe me - it does work - I've done it and I'm not alone !!

Wish you success with Arduino and once your confidence is back up then I'm sure you'll return to the $50 and fix the problem - "without tenacity .. we accept"
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 07:47:51 AM »
Are you sure you have AVR Studio still set to program the ATmega8?

Do the signatures verify?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 11
    • Tim's Workshop
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »
I was programming a atmega168.  I checked every setting I could think of.  I'm thinking my problem could have actually been a faulty programmer.  I bought the $34  one.  It started acting weird it would occasionally signify it was receiving power via a green status light when there was no power going to it.  I stopped pursuing the $50 robot  because I figured the amount of money I might spend troubleshooting (possibly buying a new programmer) wasn't justified if I could get an arduino for $34 more.  I really enjoyed messing with $50 robot project its just too bad it didn't work.  I learned a lot from it, so I got my money's worth.  Since then I've built 2 arduino based robots.  The first was a photovore and the second was a line follower.

I REALLY appreciate the suggestions guys, but at this point though I've already scavenged parts from the $50 robot board to use for other things lol.  So you don't need to worry about me everything is just fine now.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list