Author Topic: Just had a horrible realisation about my CMUcam  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Fredrik AnderssonTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Just had a horrible realisation about my CMUcam
« on: September 27, 2007, 05:03:50 AM »
I just realized what i might have done wrong and what might have caused all my problems when trying to operate my CMUcam.

I have the BoeBot version of the CMUcam (which i didn`t realize until i received it cause the store was too short on information). It is pretty stripped and hasen`t for example got an voltage regulator on it which the standard version has. As the BoeBot version isn`t very well documented, so i had to check the standard manual. The standard manual says that you should input 6-9v and i did. I provided the CMUcam with 9v. Now because it hasn`t got an voltage regulator the camera module and microprocessor received 9v instead of 5v. That can`t have done well for it, right?

So, what should i do now? It seems to be broken now cause it doesn`t work on 5v. Do you think i could get an replacement? I mean, parallax documentation is pretty inferior. Although it`s made for the BoeBot so you probably shouldn`t use it for something else. But the whole situation for me makes me feel very deceived... it`t frustrating cause i know i made the actual mistakes...
Current project: Pirrh - Portable Intelligent Round Rolling Hexapod

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
Re: Just had a horrible realisation about my CMUcam
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:00:25 AM »
Give me a detailed photo of the CMUcam...
Probably the SX prossessor on it is fried!!!
But i'm looking for a zener!!!
Should they have place one for protection...
If you can't repair it (unsolder the prossessor, and replace it with another (CMUcam must be open software (the SX can be reprogrammed)) and finally program it...)
If you can't... maybe the CMU is going for a trip!!!
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: Just had a horrible realisation about my CMUcam
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »
Either you still arent doing something right, or more likely something got fried. I recommend either replacing the sensitive components like TrickyNekro said, or just go and buy a better CMUcam.

You can also reuse the camera part that I'd bet hasnt been fried, and therefore you can spend less when you buy the camera-less version of the CMUcam.

We all make expensive mistakes in robotics . . . I know I have . . .

data_list