Author Topic: Need Enclosure Latch  (Read 1680 times)

Offline OcelotTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Need Enclosure Latch
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »
Hey all,

I couldn't find a project enclosure that fit my application so I ended up building one from ABS sheet plastic. It has a two sections a top and bottom section that are connected on one side by hinges (so they open like a book). All the electronics are in the top section and all the motor/solenoid valves are in the bottom section.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or could refer me to some products that would allow me to latch the two sections shut. After some extensive googling, I haven't been able to find anything that can do the trick.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks,
Brian

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Need Enclosure Latch
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:39:57 PM »
That is a tough one. I'd start with the local hardware store to see what they may have.
Another source would be McMaster-Carr.

One idea would be a quarter turn fastener.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#quarter-turn-fasteners/=b38ud2

If you don't need to open the covers often then maybe just a couple of screws.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Need Enclosure Latch
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:17:35 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or could refer me to some products that would allow me to latch the two sections shut.
Apart from all the hardware that you'd use on doors, tool boxes, suitcases, ladies purses etc. you might wanna consider using strong magnets for holding the box closed, either directly, or by holding a catch in place.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list