Author Topic: New IC for the 50$ robot  (Read 1353 times)

Offline John_55Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
New IC for the 50$ robot
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:42:49 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently building the 50$ robot using the tutorial on this site, and I'm having a few problems. I've used the search function and did not find any similar posts, therefore I think it could be of help for some beginners.

First, since the ATMEGA8-16PU-ND suggested for the MCU is backorder on digikey (the canadian site, did'nt check the other ones), I've ordered a ATMEGA8535-16PU-ND.
However, due to inexperience (and maybe lack of planning, I admit it.. :P), I ordered the  ED3128-ND IC socket (which only has 28 pins).

Since I'd like to avoid any other mistakes, i'd like to know if this socket would do the job: ED90220-ND. Basically I've checked the number of pins & spacing and it *seems* to be alright, although I'd like to know if there are any other parameters I should check before ordering.

Second; I've ordered all electronic components from digikey recommended for the 50$ robot and if my understanding of ATMEGA's MCU is correct, I will only have to be extremely vigilant while doing the wiring (since the pin layout is different)

Also I'll be using this board, trimmed to my requirements: http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=PC+board%2fSockets&product=2760147 (for shipping purposes)

I would really appreciate a confirmation from someone better than I in electronics since this is my first go at this kind of project. (And I must admit that it is WAY out of my comfort zone so far!) I'm doing it as a personal preparation for my class on mecatronics in two semesters, so any other information would be really kind!

----
John
(Student in Mecanical engineering)

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Re: New IC for the 50$ robot
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »
You should have ordered a Mega168 or Mega328 instead, they are pin to pin compatible. You would have saved a lot of pulled hair trying to make the one you bought work...
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline John_55Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: New IC for the 50$ robot
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
Indeed, that would have been wise from me!

After looking to the prices, it might even be cheaper if I did order one of those two MCU (I think i'll go with the mega168 since the mega328 seems to be backorder.)

Just to make sure I'm ordering the right thing:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=ATMEGA168-20PU-ND

Get Your Ad Here

data_list