Author Topic: I bought a lot of stuff and don't know what to do with it!  (Read 6387 times)

Offline polar bear6Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
hi, as you can See from the Topic name, i have bought a lot of stuff and i don’t know what to use them on...
Here is a list of what i bought:
3x old Hard Drives.
2x old phones with batteries and chargers.
     One battery is 4,5V Ni-Cd and the other is a Li-Ion 7,2V
     I don’t know the mAh
7x PC mice
1x baby call (1 way radio)
7x gearmotors (none of them is the same, 3 of them are from CD Rom's so they are still moving a thing up and down, see pics when they come )
1x gearmotor pair (two alike gearmotors)
1x dual gearmotor case with treads (from old toy)
2x really small pagermotors from old cell phones.
2x motors, one is from a camera and the other is from a CD player.
1x wireless doorbell
1x answering machine with a 5+ voltage regulator and a LM386, and it has a chip called ARAM 4MX4-GD
1x Toy RC car without the RC board, only the steering and the main motor (the guts serve a better purpose, a RC laser pointer!)
1x old hard drive motor (it only have 3 wires going out so i think i its the same type as brushless motors used in RC cars... correct me if I’m wrong)
1x Nintendo 64 controller.
1x Mackintosh motherboard from 1987, it has some weird chips on it.
1x Mackintosh Power supply that goes with the motherboard.
1x IR Stereo Transmitter (i don’t have the receiver)
3x OLD SiliconGraphics webcameras, i think they are from 1993-95, they have the weirdest connector I’ve ever seen. its a 70 pin thing, but when i opened one of them it was only 24 pins leading out, so maybe they ain't that hard to hack.

wow, that was a long list, glad i only paid 10 bucks for it  :) !
well, now to my problem; what should i do with all of it, i know i can like take out the components and use them, but i wanna use the stuff as they are... or hack them.
the only thing i could come up with was to make a Herbie ( photovore ) but i don’t wanna do that, so if anyone got any ideas for how can use all my stuff i will be very interested in hearing your ideas :D.
and if you come up with an idea but i miss a part or a thing, just tell me, i just might have it in my room, or if it is a really good idea i will buy the part. your ideas don’t have to use all the parts, you might just use one or two things.
please come with ideas, i beg you.

I’ll post pics as soon as i get my camera back from the repair guy...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: I bought a lot of stuff and don't know what to do with it!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 02:15:39 PM »
whooaaaaa  :o

you got tons of neat stuff. good deal.

a photovore, if you point the sensors on the ground, avoids shadows of objects cast on the ground. you can have a robot programmed to randomly wander around, and photophobe any dark shadows. your robot would appear to be intelligently going around stuff.

pretty much you are set. got a microcontroller, no?

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 06:25:32 AM »
no, i dont have a microcontroller :(, im thinking bout buying one but i dont know what to buy  ???.
i think i will make that photovore that has the sensor that is pointed down at the floor so it will not go in shaddows, and i think i will attach the babycall on it, so i can yell at people with it :P

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:22:12 PM »
you can probably use the baby call thingy to make your robot sorta voice controlled. when you speak (hum a tone), the reciever speaker has a set frequency applied to it. say a different tone, a diff frequency will come out. have your microcontroller measure the two speaker wire frequency, and wallah.  :D

you can also make a tone detector by using a capacitor to smooth out the frequency to a single voltage, one which will change depending on tone, but can easily be read by an ADC port on your microcontroller . . .

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:50:31 PM »
i was actually thinking about a similar thing that i would try some time.
i would use a better radio (cos this aint that good and the sound is pretty bad) so i could send morse-like signals,
for eksampel: i send a puls with 3ms beep, then 1ms not beep, the 3ms beep,then 1ms not beep, the 3ms beep,then 1ms not beep.
and the speaker was attached to the microcontroller, so i would send like 10 morsecodes, and each meaning diffrent stuff, like 1ms beep, 1ms not beep was forward, 2ms beep, 1ms not beep, was revers, so on...
i could also change the not beep ms, so 1ms not beep, is turn 90 degre, and 2ms not beep is turning 45 degree, and 3ms not beep is turning 22,5 degree.

but then i would maybe not use regular morse codes, becos if im sitting in my house, and controlling my robot thats like long away, and some old war veterans are playing chess over morse codes at my freqvency, my bot totally freaks out and drive at the highway...

i dont know if it works tho, it was only an idea i got when i fell and hit my head hehe.

Get Your Ad Here