Author Topic: servo motor and how it works  (Read 1783 times)

Offline JediTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
servo motor and how it works
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
Hi,
I just became interested in how servo motors are controlled and how they work, or even a a dc motor controller and how it works and I can do a project?   I am a very much a beginner.  Is there a comprehensive tutorial or book or kit, that can help me understand, then do a project and learn how to program and apply to building something simple?  I have been searching the web but no luck.  Thanks a bunch,
Scott

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
Re: servo motor and how it works
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »
There is a very good tutorial that ADMIN has on this site.

http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml

When you are done you will have a working bot you can program.  Good luck with your first project and remember to post pictures when you are done.

Conscripted

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: servo motor and how it works
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
Hi,

I just became interested in how servo motors are controlled and how they work, or even a a dc motor controller and how it works and I can do a project?   I am a very much a beginner.  Is there a comprehensive tutorial or book or kit, that can help me understand, then do a project and learn how to program and apply to building something simple?  I have been searching the web but no luck.  Thanks a bunch,
Radio Control (R/C) Servo motors contains a DC motor*, a controller that controls the power fed to the motor according to the input signal timing and finally a gear box.

*) Some of the most expensive types use brushless "DC" motors, which are quite different to control, but any regular priced servo will be a regular DC motor.

To learn about them, it would be wise to start with just a DC motor (with or without a gear box), and when you feel proficient around controlling it (speed and direction), you can start with the servos.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list