go away spammer

Author Topic: Axon bootloader for Linux and Mac  (Read 4345 times)

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Axon bootloader for Linux and Mac
« on: March 14, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »
I haven't tested it myself, but this bootloader should let you program your Axon directly from Linux and Max OS X:
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?module=Freaks%20Academy&func=viewItem&item_type=project&item_id=1927

Please report your findings!

Offline awally88

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Axon bootloader for Linux and Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:12:42 AM »
Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I was wondering if anyone has had any success/failures with the Axon on linux, specifically Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy?
I'm looking at buying an Axon however I would prefer to program it in linux rather than having to mess around with VM's.

Thanks guys

Offline iggie

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 09:50:05 AM »
Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I was wondering if anyone has had any success/failures with the Axon on linux, specifically Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy?
I'm looking at buying an Axon however I would prefer to program it in linux rather than having to mess around with VM's.

I can't speak about the rest of the Axon, but the bootloader-uploader linked above definitely runs on Linux and OS X, as long as the AVR is connected to an RS232 device either directly, or indirectly using a USB/RS232 converter.  I use it on a Linux/ARM SBC with a COM port and on my Mac laptop through a Keyspan USB converter.  Note that I'm not using this with an Axon - this is my own AVR project that uses the same bootloader as the one on the Axon.

There's a new version up at the link above that includes a command option to specify a character sequence to send to the AVR to tell its normal program to jump to the bootloader (either through a watchdog or other software-reset method), an optional silent mode, as well as a limit on the number of bootloader connection attempts.  Its much better behaved now for running it from shell scripts, etc.

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?module=Freaks%20Academy&func=viewItem&item_type=project&item_id=1927

-I

Offline AdminTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
There's a new version up at the link above that includes a command option to specify a character sequence to send to the AVR to tell its normal program to jump to the bootloader (either through a watchdog or other software-reset method)
So . . . can yours support wireless bootloading? (the issue with Danni's version is that it doesn't reset the mcu by command, a requirement to bootload wirelessly)

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:18:25 PM »
just a quick confirmation the bootloader dated (Aug 24, 2009) at the thread Iggie posted works under Linux on my Axon1 with it's original bootloader firmware.

always good to see something that works in theory working in practice right?

dunk.

Get Your Ad Here