go away spammer

Author Topic: the actual construction  (Read 4880 times)

Offline gamefreakTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
the actual construction
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:24:05 PM »
I can figure out how to get the simple electonics working(sensors,servos,etc.) but i cant figure out how to actually put it together, i havent taken any mechanics/woodworking classes in school yet so im fairly clueless, since i dont know how to build a frame and put everything on it i cant use DC motors and gears.

Also i want to start building non-school related projects soon and i wont have help from my shop teacher for them, are there any tutorials out there for ignorant builders like me?
All hail Rodney, the holy 555 timer
And Steve said: "Let there be lead!"

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
Re: the actual construction
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:01:20 AM »
First off, let's clarify your comment... "ignorant" people are those that don't want to learn... you do, so you are not ignorant... maybe a bit inexperienced though? :)

So you seem to have a good grasp on the electronics and the programming, but on the mechanics...

I would start by looking at other robots for inspiration.  I have seen robots built using old CD's as frames.  I have also seen just about everything else used as well.

Have you considered buying a chasis?

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 07:08:26 AM »
i would rather not buy a chassis, rather i would like to build my own, which of course causes more problems.

I have seen robots built using old CD's as frames.
how does that work? the only use i could think for cds are as wheels.

Offline Brandon121233

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • "Genius is %1 inspiration and %99 perspiration"
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:35:09 PM »
How big do you want it to be? Is the first question. The best thing to use as a beginner would be a plastic base since its very easy to work with, cut, drill... I think someone else mentioned this in another topic posted here and I though it was a good idea of just going to like walmart and get a plastic cutting board (rather thin like 1/4 inch) and if you don't have one already invest in a good jig saw (you will use it all the time for building bases or for cutting robot parts) and cut out the shape you want. I hope this helped, if you want any other tips on something a little more specific just ask.
Hell, there are no rules here—we're
   trying to accomplish something.

—Thomas Edison

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »
This makes good stuff. I'm using it to attach all of my electronics to my RC car base.
http://www.budgetrobotics.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=408639&cat=103&

they also have alot of pre made solutions for decent prices.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
  • Robo-Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:20:44 PM »
thanks jesse, sorry if i didnt explain well enough brandon but i could understand how to attach my parts onto the bases.

I geuss i could just epoxy a PVC pipe to a servo, but is there a better way? and also, if i was building na arm how would i attach a second segment. And is there a not-so-permanent way to attach things then epoxy, i know i could use scres and stuff but i cant figure out how exactly
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 03:58:39 PM by gamefreak »

Get Your Ad Here