Author Topic: hang glider  (Read 7647 times)

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: hang glider
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 06:17:45 AM »
how is a simulator going to help much? unless its an rc simulator of coarse...
jumbos weigh 1000x what your tiny aircraft will... i think yours may experience a little more turbulence ;D
Howdy

Offline wil.hamilton

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • rtfm
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
aerodynamics don't always scale.  there are lots of RC aircraft designs that wouldn't be workable for a larger aircraft and vica versa.  Having experience flying real aircraft doesn't mean much when you try to scale it down.  My dad for example was a pilot for years (small single engine planes) and he can't fly an RC aircraft.
use the google.  it's your friend.

Offline jamort

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 11:10:34 AM »
your wrong... you need a different certification to fly jumbos.... the average pilot spends 2000 hours flying ultralight aircraft before making a transformation to jets. Jumbos are a lot harder to fly becase the bigger they get the longer the delayed reaction becomes though they do have more stable flight... I've heard a hard thing can be getting off the groundin a glider and staying behind the tow and not breaking the tow cable
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:34:59 PM by jamort »
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline Joker94

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 26
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 07:17:43 PM »
of course i know you need a different qualification to fly a jumbo. But the majority of the learning happens in a class room not in a simulator

Offline wil.hamilton

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • rtfm
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »
while most of the learning may appear to happen in a classroom nothing beats experience.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 02:24:04 AM »
Hi,

I'm 98% certain I saw a remote controlled hang glider before, you could look at how they did it (or even buy it and modify it).
Perhaps this: http://www.rokemodell.de/x-int/gb/products/gr/gr4433gb.htm?

I vaquely recall another one (from Graupner as well), but it was years, if not decades back in time.

MangoBot <- driving an R/C-car is definitely extremely different from driving a real car (I don't think anyone will disagree on that), so a Jumbo Jet pilot might not even be able to get an R/C-plane off the ground (or land it) without some training.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 02:42:45 AM »
http://www.blac.net/

Hanglider with standard rudder/elevator controls

Offline wil.hamilton

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • rtfm
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 06:48:29 AM »
either one of those should be easy enough to modify.  no doubt they use servos for control which means it would be very simple to interface a controller to.  you could start w/ just having the controller try to fly it straight and have some sort of kill switch to "force" a landing (make it fall out of the sky).  or even, at first leave throttle control up to you (leave it connected via rc) and have the robot steer. that seems like it would be a good way to go about it

Offline parallax

• Helpful? 1
    • christopherconley.net
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 09:56:59 PM »
Hate to admit it but I've crashed an R/C plane or two in my time  :-\

Flying one is without a doubt not easy to master. The controls can be finicky. Not to mention the factors that are out of your control entirely: The smallest gust of wind can ruin your day with these light models, especially if there is a body of water nearby... *ahem* Not saying I did that  ;)

Seriously, you can pick up some really cheap ones at Radioshack to play around with and you won't feel it in your wallet when you crash it the first time. I've never heard of an enthusiast who doesn't have at least one nasty crash story.

Doing so will give you a greater feel for what you're up against, especially when trying to consider scenarios like the gust of wind I spoke of earlier. Think of it like this: It's like taking your drivers test for your license- much easier to do if you've actually driven before and not just read about it or played Grand Turismo a few times. 
"Less than a drop of blood in me remains that does not tremble;
I recognize the signals of the ancient flame"

Get Your Ad Here

data_list