Author Topic: Getting started with robotics! Need help please!  (Read 1719 times)

Offline cowtiiper5Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Getting started with robotics! Need help please!
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:19:51 AM »
I have never made a single robot before but I have done a fair amount of research and want to create an obstacle avoiding robot! I want to use the arduino uno r3 for the brain! Anyone know of a guide to build in a fairly cheap way sense this will be my first robot?

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
Re: Getting started with robotics! Need help please!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »
Welcome to the world of robotics!

My first robot was a Boe-Bot (the controller was a Basic Stamp but they now offer a Arduino version) see http://www.parallax.com/product/32335. You can follow the tutortials that come with the kit to build an obstical avoidance robot and  learn some basic electronics and programming along the way.

The kit has some basic electronic compoents to get you started including several sensors to detect obsticles. The best obstical detection sensors for you are probably Sharp IR sensors; however, these are not included in the Boe-Bot kit. I would recommending purchasing a couple of Sharp IR sensors to upgrade your robot, once you have a understanfing of the electronics and programming associated.

Im sure there are some other good robotics kits out there but I had a great experience with this kit and recommend it to someone beginning robotics.

Get Your Ad Here