Author Topic: Need something to count fabric. Will pay to have it built.  (Read 2578 times)

Offline oxx155Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Need something to count fabric. Will pay to have it built.
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »
I need a device (I was thinking laser out of a gaming mouse) that can count fabric (by the foot) as it goes under the laser, and the footage is displayed. Then the ability to "reset" the counter.
I really need it to be accurate.
I also need it to be protected in some sort of casing or box.
I thought someone who builds robots and works with lasers daily would be the best person for the job.
PM me through here or email me at [email protected].

Thanks

Offline evildrome

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Need something to count fabric. Will pay to have it built.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:20:40 AM »
What you're looking for is called a "mouse DRO".

They are not accurate enough 'yet' for the purpose most people want to put them to (machine control with 0.001" accuracy) but if you only need +/- 0.5" then it might work.

Google  "mouse DRO".

Cheers,

Wilson.

Offline Schlayer

• Helpful? 3
Re: Need something to count fabric. Will pay to have it built.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »
Couldn't you just use a typical rolling distance measure like: http://www.amleo.com/keson-light-and-agile-4in+-measuring-wheel/p/rr112/?kc=amlshop15n&mkwid=azxegdda&pcrid=%7bcreative_id%7d&gclid=cjwkeaiaxnilbrd88r2azcqb2zssjaby2b96-gwvrustv-izmef-dg0tugadqnghjrzmqh80eddd0hocovnw_wcb
I bet you could make a super simple jig to hold the thing in place a tiny distance over a smooth table and just drag your fabric through. This one measures up to 10,000 feet and costs less than a gaming mouse.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list