Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

My Advanced Realistic Humanoid Robot Project

<< < (2/8) > >>

mklrobo:
 :) Hello!
In reference to your mechanical structure, I have found the following, thus far.  ???
The kimatic schematic, or mechanical support structure, will need addressing. I have been
working on a Free Body Diagram, to deal with weight distribution. Strengths of materials,
types of materials used, and work ergonomics fall into the design.
I had planned to use the an old Hero Jr. robot for the beginning. Simple programming would
suffice to build upon, as well as the servo and environmental needs( following the functions like
the robots used in Silent Running). This would support the droid plan for 3 minions to
one supervisor.(home/garden automation, also somewhat personal assistants.(?)  8) )
The next advancement is a modification to the hero structure, a Super-Hero !
This phase would have arms, legs, wheels, built on the functions of the previous model.
Not a huminoid, by any stretch of the imagination, but gives functionality to the members added,
without sacrificing mechanical structure integrity. So, basically, I am using a standard body most
everybody is familiar with, and building upon that, to be an open source robot.
The body remains standard, with legs/arms that can be modified, then jacked into the main robot
where needed; with arm software upgrade.(need a new driver for the arm/leg)
Also, there will be a need for software member driver support, and the need for support of drivers for
sub - processor will be needed. This is why working together, like the Linux community, is important. A lot to think about, when building a robotic superstructure, don't you agree?    ;)

artbyrobot1:
"as long as your construction info is available everyone can use something"

I agree!  I'm planning to go to great lengths to record all of my methods to share with others in an open source way.

"The only bad thing about the standalone robots, are the batteries!"

My plan is to have the robot run off of a power cable from wall outlets and when he needs to switch rooms he unplugs himself, staps on a backpack loaded with batteries, plugs that in, unplugs his power cable, walks to the next room, plugs his power cable back in and sets his battery backpack onto the ground till he needs it again to change rooms again.  So the batteries will be designed to not be built inside of him.  I got this idea from Asimo.

"I would recommend using a wheelchair for your robot to begin with."

Awesome idea!  Never considered that and I can see alot of advantages.  I'm so glad you are here giving me guidance!

"drivers/software plan"

I've planned the brains/software alot as well.  I'm going to have a laptop or powerful tablet or two in the chest of the robot running the main logic engines and am going to interface those with arduinos for lower level functionality and from the arduinos to servomotor controllers of course and from those into the servos.  Plus I'm going to have mostly likely over 100 sensors.

mklrobo:
 8) Awesome!  8)
I appreciate your feedback. I have covered some of the items we have talked about in my posts
in the misc section in this forum, Analyzing the Axon: Coding, Construction, and Contraptions.
I wish you well on your building. I usually do my "best" work on Friday/Saturday nights, eating pizza and watching old Creature Feature movies, or a science fiction robotic based movie. Sometimes, I have friends
over to "work" on the robots/MCU/Linux while we watch the movies and have a nerd fest. Good times,
Good times.   ;D ;D ;D

mklrobo:
 :o OK! I found the Pen car starter!  :o
The size of a small handheld radio, brand name, Powerplus.
It is a 13600 MaH battery!  It says it has a 500 Ampere peak current output!
Unreal, if it is true.  ::) 5 of these in your robot, could possible give it enough power
to run a humanoid body!  ??? They are compact enough to fit into the body, with enough
power in parallel to run the servos and CPU for awhile. you may have to "stuff" batteries in the
legs, arms, or anywhere you can to squeeze out all the available power per area you can get.
So, the lesson to learn from this, is power available per area Vs. power used per area. that would
seem to be a good "rule of thumb" to use when calculating the body of the robot. To generalize,
computing the square footage of a house, to obtain the maximum living space, as cost per foot.
Just a thought. ;)

artbyrobot1:
Thanks for finding that battery suggestion!  I'm aiming to just run off a wall power outlet for many years to come and not worry about batteries.  I'm not going to design room for batteries inside the robot body as I already have a huge amount of space need for all the servos and sensors and wires and stuff.  Therefore, I'm going to put batteries into a backpack like Asimo does.  I won't even worry about that for many years well after the robot is finished will I worry about batteries in his backpack to make him mobile beyond where his power cord will reach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version